S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm new to the forum. Is there a better transmission for the 4cylinder? I have 40,000 miles on mine and it seems to be worn. I play rough with my S-10 and I don't think the trans will last much longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm.....better? I love the 5 speed in mine. It was always a bit cranky seemed to want to stick when shifting in the middle gears. It finally seized up on I-75 one day. I waited for almost 2 years for my friend with a junkyard to get one in. It cost me 200 bucks and a new or rebuilt one is well over 1000. Same make tranny but different model year it seems, because my odometer sensor was too big to fit in the new tranny and that dang little magnet cost almost 90 bucks new, sides who needs a speedometer anyway LOL. It has been good since, drove it from Georgia to Alaska last year in 4 days and it's still going good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for something stronger than stock. The dealer said the loud tranmission noise is normal. I only took it to them because it was still under warranty. Plus the tech found a leaky head gasket and fixed it. The service writer said if the tranny fails that they have the complaint on the sevice record and the warranty will cover it. I am concerned that if I build more power it will break. There must be a simple bolt in swap to a stonger transmission.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
these trannys are pretty strong, if you're worried about making power (which you won't cause you have a 2.2, and I do too....) then go to a tranny shop and have them go through and strengthen it

Caleb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking that the hub is broken or cracked on the friction disk. The pickup had a new pilot bushing installed under warranty before I bought it a year and a half ago. The tranny is loud in nuetral. The sevice writer said it's normal, but the noise is getting louder and the shifts are getting harder. As for power I have found sites with performance parts for GM J body 2.2 engines. The problem is to build any serious power is way expensive. None of the suppliers offer a complete turn key engine. I've looked at Quad 4 twin cam swaps, but have the same issues. Agian I am new to this or any forum. I have found it helpful and I hope I'm not being a pain.

Charles in Eugene Oregon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.