S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys. I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy with 4.3 with 4l60e transmission. the issue I'm having is that it won't shift out of 1st gear. It pulls of slowly still gets speeds up to 70 mph still and goes into reverse. I'm I going to have to replace the transmission. or is it something that A shop can fix?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so am I going to need another transmission? I Replaced the filter and topped off the tranny fluid. It didn't have a burnt smell.

·
the new guy
711 Posts
that's a call you will need a transmission person to make. but have you googled how to make sure the transmission linkages are set properly? that will definitely make it take a long time to accelerate if they are not properly adjusted and will burn your trans up

·
Randy
274 Posts
Sounds like limp mode. You might have a blown fuse or a ignition switch problem. When there is no power to the shift solenoids, they are off. Both solenoids must be on for 1st gear. The 1-2 solenoid is cycled off for 2nd and the 2-3 solenoid is cycled off for 3rd. The 1-2 is cycled back on for 4th.
Test your manual shift modes You should have no change from OD to drive. But it should have a manual 2nd gear.
There should be a trans fuse in the side fuse box.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like limp mode. You might have a blown fuse or a ignition switch problem. When there is no power to the shift solenoids, they are off. Both solenoids must be on for 1st gear. The 1-2 solenoid is cycled off for 2nd and the 2-3 solenoid is cycled off for 3rd. The 1-2 is cycled back on for 4th.
Test your manual shift modes You should have no change from OD to drive. But it should have a manual 2nd gear.
There should be a trans fuse in the side fuse box.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tranzman Thank you for replying. I have the 1994 GMC Square body and I honestly don't know where the fuse you re talking about is located. Can you please help?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok I checked all of the fuses under the dash and I don't see one for the transmission. Can It be in another location? 1994 Gmc S15 jimmy with a 4.3 engine

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you oldeerslayer, Tranzman , that was the problem. I put a new fuse in and everything is working great. You guy just saved me 800.00 dollars. I was going to the get my tranny replaced this weekend.

·
Randy
274 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!!!

·
JTC97SONOMA
17 Posts
HI guys. I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy with 4.3 with 4l60e transmission. the issue I'm having is that it won't shift out of 1st gear. It pulls of slowly still gets speeds up to 70 mph still and goes into reverse. I'm I going to have to replace the transmission. or is it something that A shop can fix?
check the speed sensor? my 1997 GMC Sonoma 4.3L 4L60E wont shift out off first gear if speed sensor is disconnected but electronic speedometer wont work either? good luck jtc1133

·
Randy
274 Posts
I need a beer!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts