S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Been there Done it
15,261 Posts
If it still has fluid look at the color. If it's black it's toast. If it's low and reddish find the leak.

·
Registered
805 Posts
This happened on a S10 Blazer I owned also 4L60E, completely nothing.

A transmission guy told me check the transmission fluid level with it off and then check it with it on and if the fluid level did not change and remained the same as it was off then the transmission pump failed. In my case the fluid level remained the same.

My transmission pump got wiped out due to torque converter bolts backing out. Sounds to me like for some reason your pump got wiped out but you can do that simple test to verify.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Get it rebuilt I promise it will save time energy money and heartache.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To properly check AT fluid level the vehicle needs to be on a flat, level surface. WITH the temperature to be at RUNNING TEMP. which may be hard to do when it wont drive but checking with the truck off or everything cold may not give you 100% accurate reading. Simplest thing I have seen with transmissions is if it doesn't have enough fluid it won't move anywhere. So verify is not too low.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To properly check AT fluid level the vehicle needs to be on a flat, level surface. WITH the temperature to be at RUNNING TEMP. which may be hard to do when it wont drive but checking with the truck off or everything cold may not give you 100% accurate reading. Simplest thing I have seen with transmissions is if it doesn't have enough fluid it won't move anywhere. So verify is not too low.
Thanks I hope that is what it is.The mechanic is supose to look at it friday.Thanks again,and for not thinking it was a supid post.Was just wondering if anyone else had this with their s10.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks I hope that is what it is.The mechanic is supose to look at it friday.Thanks again,and for not thinking it was a supid post.Was just wondering if anyone else had this with their s10.
Well,it acted like it was slipping in and out of gear for about a mile and i was going about 35 mph and all the sudden it was like it went in neutral.Tried the other 3 lower gears still nothing.Coasted to a nearest parking lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This happened on a S10 Blazer I owned also 4L60E, completely nothing.

A transmission guy told me check the transmission fluid level with it off and then check it with it on and if the fluid level did not change and remained the same as it was off then the transmission pump failed. In my case the fluid level remained the same.

My transmission pump got wiped out due to torque converter bolts backing out. Sounds to me like for some reason your pump got wiped out but you can do that simple test to verify.
Thanks

·
Randy
961 Posts
2.2L Automatics are known for the rear planet breaking & leaving it with a no move situation. The 2.2L engines have 4.10 rear gears & shorter tires. In 4th gear it runs through the rear planet. It's spinning the little spider gears faster than any other GM vehicle.
I'm doing a CB (come back) on a 4L60E I built 6-month ago. I cannot tell you why this planet set broke like it did. Fluid was bright red & every thing inside look like I just got done with it. It made it since 2005 and felt good when I built it, so I re-ran it. Oh well, crap happens!!!

Automotive tire Wheel Rim Bicycle part Tire
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tints and shades Gas Auto part

·
Randy
961 Posts
My 2000 s10,2.2 Automatic transmission all of the sudden quit pulling.Like it was in neutral.I changed in 1,2,3 nothing.What's up?
This is why I posted about the rear planet.
Well,it acted like it was slipping in and out of gear for about a mile and i was going about 35 mph and all the sudden it was like it went in neutral.Tried the other 3 lower gears still nothing.Coasted to a nearest parking lot.
Here is another scenario. The in and out of gear could have been low fluid level. Low fluid causes the pump to suck air. That causes the Sinitered Iron pump rotor to shatter/break & trashes the pump. I've had 3 rebuilds this year alone for that. Those pump rotors are junk and the new off shore/Chinese ones are even worse.

Mine works till it get warm.
So it works cold?

These are the reasons other have said they are confused. We are really just trying to help you out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 2000 s10,2.2 Automatic transmission all of the sudden quit pulling.Like it was in neutral.I changed in 1,2,3 nothing.What's

2 Comments

Comment

Send
No matter what, get ready to shed a few thou to fix it right.
This is why I posted about the rear planet.

Here is another scenario. The in and out of gear could have been low fluid level. Low fluid causes the pump to suck air. That causes the Sinitered Iron pump rotor to shatter/break & trashes the pump. I've had 3 rebuilds this year alone for that. Those pump rotors are junk and the new off shore/Chinese ones are even worse.

So it works cold?

These are the reasons other have said they are confused. We are really just trying to help you out.
Which way did you come in ?

·
Randy
961 Posts
No matter what, get rdy to shed a few thou to fix it right.

Which way did you come in ?
Not sure what you mean...
If you meant that for me.
My first post was because he said it quit pulling
My second was because he said it was going in & out of gear.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Both target unfortunate trans owner.
1st merely alludes to current pricey fix common to no drive fail . Figured trans fluid level, condition was1st thing ck'd
2nd is jovial banter: 2nd line of question:
Can we help you out......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts