S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1997 GMC Jimmy 2dr 2wd
Hey y'all, I have a few questions on transmission options for my truck. I was considering getting my 4L60 ran through and some parts replaced, but then I learned that I hate the gearing ratios in it, I'm also thinking about either swapping in a T5 or T56 manual or getting my 4L60 beefed up and get the ratios changed. I also am considering changing the 3.42 differential gearing to a 3.73. What are your guys' inputs? Edit#1: I basically drive to work and school which are both here in town and occasionally to my girlfriend's house which is a drive to the mountains, so using my brain I can only assume that a lower gear ratio would be better and have less wear on several parts, and get better fuel economy in the city, or am I completely wrong?

·
Randy
603 Posts
Sonnax does make a 2.84 front planet for the 4L60E. It costs approximately $800 though. Most people won't pop the $ for it. I had 2000 4x4 Blazer LT with 3.73 posi's front and rear. It was fun to drive.

·
Engineer
2003 S10 4.3L 4wd Crew Cab
164 Posts
A lower gear ratio will get you better mileage at speed, but will wear on your tranny slight more during acceleration.

·
Registered
2000 Blazer SAS
385 Posts
A lower gear ratio will get you better mileage at speed, but will wear on your tranny slight more during acceleration.
That may be true if you're talking about a numerically lower gear ratio, but going from 3.42 to 3.73 would probably have the opposite effect. IMO, though, it's not enough of a change to warrant the trouble and the expense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts