S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck has had a leak around the transmission mount for a long time. I have been checking and filling my transmission as needed.

Recently, my transmission was very low on oil, meaning my leak is starting to get worse. I read online that a leak at the mount indicates a bad outer input shaft seal, but is there another part that could be bad?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok I’ll bite: where is it leaking from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
ATF can be found at the transmission mount
there are 6 bolts that hold the output housing on, those coule be leaking, the housing could be leaking, the pan gasket could be leaking, the rear output seal where drive shaft goes into could be leaking.
You will need to clean, and identify where the fluid is coming from in order to repair the leak.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It sounds like it's just leaking a little from one or both of the ends of the adapter housing. The part in between the transmission and transfer case.
Really not that bad of a job, just need to remove the transfer case, it's not all that heavy.
Then just take off the adapter and re-gasket.
It's a very good time to replace the input shaft seal on the transfer case or you can get atf overfilling it.
No need to worry about any transmission output seals or anything.
The worst part can be the driveshaft bolts if someone has rounded them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
4x4 and whoops
You shouldn't have any fluid in between the trans and xfer case. If you do, then one (or both) of the seals there is leaking. Pull the xfer case off and replace the trans output shaft seal (I think that you can get the bushing there out, too, but don't quote me on that), and the xfer case input shaft seal. With all that apart, also replace the two xfer case output shaft seals as they tend to go and these vehicles aren't getting any younger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts