S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I had a flush and filter change done on the transmission at 72,000 miles and a flush only at 86,000 miles. I also had Lucas Transmission Fix put in at the 86k fluid change for preventative maintenance and had a B&M Supercooler installed just after that. To my knowledge, there are no leaks or obvious slipping. The Lucas actually smoothed out the shifting on cold mornings. Next fluid and filter change is at 101-102k. When that has to be done:

1. Flush or no flush? Just drop the pan and change the fluid and filter? Is there another way of getting all of the fluid replaced without using a high pressure flushing machine? Is that harmful to a higher mileage trans to use a machine?

2. Put the Lucas in again? If I am not doing the flush, how much should I have put in if only 1/2 of the ATF is being changed?

3. Could the Lucas have done any hidden damage that would only be apparent during a fluid change? The fluid is still nice and pink at 95k.

4. How does the cooler change things when it comes to changing fluid?

5. Would this transmission benefit from Royal Purple MaxATF? If I use that, Lucas or no Lucas?

Thanks.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
put this in a tranny section for better response.

I dont like adding anything to tranny fluid. if the tranny is gonna fail it is gonna fail. there is NO miracle in a bottle.

I would just use store brand atf. I see no benefit of using so called synthetic tranny fluid. tranny fluid is used for cooling only and nothing else.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
put this in a tranny section for better response.

I dont like adding anything to tranny fluid. if the tranny is gonna fail it is gonna fail. there is NO miracle in a bottle.

I would just use store brand atf. I see no benefit of using so called synthetic tranny fluid. tranny fluid is used for cooling only and nothing else.
Oops. My mistake. I will repost this in the transmission section.
I wasn't looking for miracles in a bottle. Just something to make it function better and last longer (in addition to good maintenance and not abusing it by throwing it in reverse while moving forward or driving in overdrive on hills). I know that there is nothing that can really bring a transmission back from complete destruction aside from a rebuild. I just want to try to delay it from wearing out for as long as possible. Bottom line: My trans works fine, but I want it to stay that way for a long time.

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
Type F fluid (minus the Lucas) works well in them.
it has higher co-efficient of friction for a little better
clutch holding ability.

ive been using Type F in GM trannys for decades.

·
Truckin'
273 Posts
I use Dexron VI in mine, works great. Never tried Type F though, I'll have to look into it.

Drop pan and change fluid filter every 15k or so. I never flush.

Drop in a bottle of SeaFoam TransTune 100 miles before the fluid + filter change. It helps to clean deposits around solenoids and valves that can cause them to stick or operate more slowly. I have had amazing results with this on higher mileage vehicles.

Lucas Transmission Fix is also a quality additive. I use it at every change.

All I can say beyond that is that the results speak for themselves. It's rare that I ever feel a shift unless the fluid is cold, and I have never had to do anything other than fluid/filter change. I did add a cooler though for transmission life.

To specifically answer your questions:

1. Up to you. If you keep up with your fluid changes it's not necessary. Regular 15k fluid changes will keep the fluid circulating new and pink.

2. It certainly doesn't do any harm. Like you, I too noticed positive effects particularly on higher mileage transmissions. Add the full bottle. You'll need 5-6 quarts of transmission fluid if I recall correctly.

3. No.

4. Adding a cooler makes a difference only in that it will add about a quart of fluid to your regular changes.

5. Up to you. I use Castrol Dexron VI, and Lucas. Some fluids will obviously break down and wear faster than others, but if you do regular 15k changes...almost any will do fine. I do prefer name brands like Castrol however.

·
"factory freak"...
8,604 Posts
if silky smooth shifts are your goal, type F
may not be for you. it tends to make the
shifts a little firmer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if silky smooth shifts are your goal, type F
may not be for you. it tends to make the
shifts a little firmer.
Honestly, the smoothness of the shifts are not really my concern. Whichever is better for the tranny is what I want.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, the smoothness of the shifts are not really my concern. Whichever is better for the tranny is what I want.
Also what is the difference between the different DEXRONs? I noticed on the bill that the GM dealer used Dexron VI after the pressure control solenoid replacement. I have no idea what is in there now or what the other shops used to change the fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.