S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chevy Rules!
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went 4x4ing this weekend and my 4 wheel drive Quit. I was hearing a clanking from the transfer case area. I dropped the transfer case skid and there was grease all around where it meets the front drive shaft. There is a boot that is there that is not sealed and the drive shaft is moving around. I can clean it up and get some new grease behind the boot and get the boot back in place but it wont stay. What did I loose or how do I get it back together? What hold the boot in the t-case? Is this something I can do? Please help and thanks in advice for any replies. I just want to get this fixed so I can use my 4-wheel drive.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
rsharpe said:
Went 4x4ing this weekend and my 4 wheel drive Quit. I was hearing a clanking from the transfer case area. I dropped the transfer case skid and there was grease all around where it meets the front drive shaft. There is a boot that is there that is not sealed and the drive shaft is moving around. I can clean it up and get some new grease behind the boot and get the boot back in place but it wont stay. What did I loose or how do I get it back together? What hold the boot in the t-case? Is this something I can do? Please help and thanks in advice for any replies. I just want to get this fixed so I can use my 4-wheel drive.
Well I am not super familear with the 2nd gen t-cases but I believe the boot is held on with one of them CV joint metal bands kinda like a steel zip tie. The 1st gen's dont use a boot on the shaft it just has a seal like the rear driveshaft does.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Chevy Rules!
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep C-V-Joint is what it is. Looks like 500 from the Stealer 350 shipped from GMPartsdirect.com 200 rebuilt but I think that is a little high or 125 from a bone yard. At least there is no labor. Thanks for the reply though.

·
Chevy Rules!
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I blew another one up yesterday. I wasn't even hitting anythingn to hard or have it twisted up. Well it looks like the shaft is to short. The place where the balls inside it are supposed to be operating are trying to operate back from there which is casing the metal bracket that holds the balls in place to shatter. I think I need to get a new style (extended) built at the drivetrain shop. I am just woundering if I have something wrong causing this or did chevy just do a $hitty job? I don't have a suspension lift yet I only have my t-bars cranked about 1" and 2" shackels in the rear. Also should I wait to get a new shaft built until I do the trailmaster 4"/5" suspension lift? Thanks again for any replies.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
does yours have a slip joint on it?

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
yeah, but on the first gens anyway, its not a solid shaft, but two that are internally splined, that way they can compress or extend, not that they's need to anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts