S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I scored this clean 91 single cab with 140,000 miles, straight body not a spec of rust for 500 bucks on monday, when i got it I was informed that i had a shift fork issue so I could only get 1st 3rd 5th and reverse gears... Its a 2.5 with a t5... Anyway today while out to pull a part it started making a nasty grinding sound when the clutch pedal was released, it steadily got worse till almost home and i lost gear and coasted to a stop. I have clutch pedal, and when trucks not running and still in gear you can not push it so I assume the tranny isnt trash, do i need to replace the clutch or whats everyones thoughts, this is going to be a daily project so i need to get her back on road tomorrow.

·
Been there Done it
12,474 Posts
Sounds like the seller knew the trans was bad. Now you do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew about the shift fork issue and that the truck sat for the past 12 years but does it sound like the trans or maybe a clutch issue

·
Been there Done it
12,474 Posts
When you pull the trans you'll be able to see the clutch clearly. Trans has to come out to repair either.
Most guys put in a new clutch when they replace the trans so they don't have to pull it again later.

·
Been there Done it
12,474 Posts
Yeah, even if you have to replace the trans you still got a steal on a rust free low miles 1st Gen for only $500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after pulling the transmission it turns out that my input shaft bearing was gone, throw out bearing was garbage, and it had snapped the snout right off the bearing retainer, it actually stayed in the bellhousing with the clutch fork. Other than that it actually seems alright so I'm slapping in some new bearings and retainer thing and oh yeah it was bone dry of fluid so im filling it up and hoping for the best... We shall see, worst case im out 16 bucks today and can get a fresh rebuilt for 280 from a guy down the road. Wish me luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So whats a more cost effective swap for this t5? Not only is my tranny shot, the bell housing is stripped and has a huge crack that was nicely covered with mud and paint so it needs a total replacement from engine back... Any ideas???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts