S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody out their had any reoccurring problems with their 4l60e specifically it burning up repeatedly

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a couple other threads about transmission problems. Personally, I just got off the phone with Chevrolet Customer service and they gave me their finally answer on assistance on repairing S-10 with that 4L60E transmission. They said that because I am not the original owner, there is nothing they can do to help out.

So, to answer your question, there are plenty of problems with the 4L60E. It cost over $710 to have mine fixed on a 1997 with less the 50,000 miles. The lady said there was no recall because they did not have enough complaints to issue a recall. How many miles does your truck have and what kind of re-occuring problems are you having, I'm curious to know? Have you taking it to a Chevy dealer yet?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the truck has a 114 k miles on it but the trans was built the first time 2 years ago then the second time a year ago i also added a shift kit at that time then 6 months ago for the freakin third time i put raybestos blue racing clutches hardened steels harden sprag and a vette servo and its already starting to slip and pop out of gear man i not putting any more money in that trans again if i do anything im putting a 5 spd in it but probably going to get my friend to rebuild it to stock then then im selling it and getting a new car andit cost 1600 bucks to rebuild it to stock the first time and it just went up from their idono wat else to do the truck has been great except for the trans

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
I had the same problem but the shop told me it was from to much tranny fluid, i was on the interstate, went thru a tunnel at 55mph, went to pick up more speed and it would goto 65, then 75 and it would keep picking up speed but it was taching way to high, i let off the gas to get it to kick in to gear, which it did, then when i hit the gas again it started to slip, i pulled over and called a wrecker, 275.00 later i get it home, drive it off the rollback, and i havent had any trouble since, it only did it that one time, i drive it to work every night and it hasnt slipped yet, but im paranoid to take it on anymore long trips, when i checked the dipstick it was showing more tranny fluid the it suppose to so i had the fluid and filter changed, i hope it isnt something were i have to have the tranny rebuilt! btw its a 98 2.2 auto with 73000 miles..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill check that out but its gone out twice but never know im just fed up with it. mine not shifting no where near as hard as it should and when i let off the gas the trans disengages. i could be doing 40 mph and put it in 2nd and let off the gas and the engine will be at idle like its in neutral coasting down the road

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i checked the fluid and it was a little high so i pumped it out and then added and made sure it was exact but it didnt help anybody else with any sugesstions or where i can get a use trans for cheap in houston katy area

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
the only advise I can give is to go to Shepherd and hit up all them junkyards, I know they'll have one. What part of Houston or Katy are you in?

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
not far from where my parents live ( I moved out this past summer), down 529 close to Fry, in Highland Creek Village.

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
I think I might know your truck, whenever I'm in town I see a red older style S-10 on ZQ8's (SS) coming in or out of that neighborhood. Didn't know it was an SS though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea thats probably me i have a cowl hood the paint job on the front is kinda of messed up though. was going to paint it till these trans problems

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
yeah I've bee having problems with what I thought was my trans, I can just be leaving or doing 70 on the highway and seems like the trucks kinda "shudders" or something. I heard it might be the tires being imbalanced or have flat spots or something like that on the tires due to the cold. Who knows. But I know I took it to A+ Transmission about a month ago and had the fluid and filter and all that changed and when they ran a diagnostic on the trans they said it all looked good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i went to langham and becareful when u take ur truck to a+ they built it the first time it never sifted right so i took it back and they did their diagnotics and said it was fine the problems continued to occur then i finally forced them to tear it down and look at it they tole me my valvebody had a pressure leak so they fixed it and they suggested a shift kit so i had thm put one on. then everything seemed to be fine then one day the whole trans went pop and stop moving then i had a friend in college sation tear it down and when he got into it he found that they cliped the planitary gear in wrong which alowed to much play which fried everything so i had him build it with all the performance upgrades but now its going out again but i think a+ screwed up the valvebody and i think that is giving me the problems im having now

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea i heard alot of bad things after the matter i wouldnt trust those guys and its the a+ on hwy 6 by the auto zone i think

·
Registered
150 Posts
That shutter you feel is a condition called "launch shutter". I have it bad at accellaration. It may be why my truck seems to bounce at about 70mph, but I think that is the highway though because I've been on new surfaces and not experianced it.

·
Still waters run Deep
937 Posts
supercobraz said:
That shutter you feel is a condition called "launch shutter". I have it bad at accellaration. It may be why my truck seems to bounce at about 70mph, but I think that is the highway though because I've been on new surfaces and not experianced it.
Do you know what causes this and how to fix it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
No I'm not sure what causes it and you know something else, I don't think Cheverolet does either. I read a story on the internet about Cheverolet buying back a truck because he kept bringing it back to them to fix that problem. They changed the tires out with new one, balanced the drive shaft but they could not stop it from shuttering. So to answer your question, no, I have no idea what causes it. Like I said, my 97 has it pretty bad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts