S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive for long distances(30 miles) the tranny will shift early and really hard. Anybody know what is causing this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hopefully you are still under warranty. If it is a valve body job, you are looking at $700 to $800 at the dealer. I don't know jack about trannys but my 97 is in the shop at this minute for the same problem. GM is aware of the problem but will not do anything to help you out beyond 3/36,000. Problem is, the dealer techs already know how to fix the problem. I had the lot where I bought the truck, with less then 50K, take it to a shop of their choice. The shop has to figure out what the dealership already know. The first time they thought they had it fixed, it wasn't. So now it's back a second time along with some info I snatched off the net.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't sound good. IT's only got 50k on it, but I just bought it and it came with a warranty from the dealership I got it from. I'm having the tranny flushed tommorrow, maybe that will help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you discribe your problem to them, they will probably tell you that flushing it will only make it worse. If you have a warranty, do yourself a favor and let them fix it now, before it cost you money out of your pocket. Do a search online for "4L60E transmission" or "hard shift" something to that matter and you will get plenty to read about. GM needs their butts kicked for not recalling them.

Did your SES light come on also. You should save money on the tranny flush, that won't fix it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Last time I tried to put a link it didn't work. Just do a search on yahoo to somewhere on those key words and you will get imfo. look back at my post this same matter, it right here on this page. I'll bump it up for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This may sound way out there, but how are your water pump and radiator?

When the transmission fluid temperature gets too high the computer makes the transmission shift much harder in an attempt to reduce the heat buildup that happens during smooth shifts (smooth shifts = slipping clutches, which make heat). A friend of mine had a '98 Blazer that would shift extremely hard after he drove it for more than 15 miles. The water pump wasn't circulating the coolant fast enough to keep the transmission fluid cooler that's in the radiator cooled off enough, even though the engine coolant temperature was ok. A new water pump cured the problem.

These transmissions are computer controlled, so there are things outside of the transmission itself that can make it shift strangely. It's worth looking into; a water pump or radiator is a hell of a lot cheaper than unneccesary transmission work.

You need to find someone who can diagnose the problem properly, not just sell you a rebuild.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that's a possibility, BUT when there are that many others having the exact same problem and there is a GM TSB about it you kinda go that way ya know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first thing i would suggest doing is checking your fluid level. If you are low on fluid, the clutch plates will get hot expand and grab a little sooner before the computer can adjust the line pressure. I know it sounds simple, but it happens.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's a flaw in the transmission, whatever it is, there was nothing you could have done to prevent it. I was thinking maybe it this, or maybe its that. But in the end, it was the a valve body job that needed to be done. Don't waste time and money taking it to some aftermarket transmission unless they actually have knowledge of the problem or they will actually charge you more and just overhaul the entire transmission. I know it's a crappy deal and GM needs to issue a recall, but until then, this is the hand we've been delt by our helpful Chevrolet manufacturer. It'll cost you about $80 to $90 to get a diagnostic test to pinpoint it and go from there. At least this was my experiance. It was taken to an aftermarket shop my the car lot that I bought it from, but the guy wanted more to fix it then the dealer, about $500 more. Now I have to get the truck back to the stealership so they can fix it. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok, just picked up my truck from the stealership last night with my new valve body overhaul. First thing I did was take it on a 45 minute test drive and it passed with flying colors. So far so good, they said the part that causes the pressure build up was fixed so it should not come back.

They also changed that Bank 1 Sensor 3 O2 that was bad and they fixed my 3rd door latch all for the low price of $130. Actually it was $840 for all three repairs but the lot I bought it from paid the rest. I guess I was a lucky one since I got off relatively cheap. It's a same day repair if anyone cares, although it may take you more then one day to earn that much money...lol. Man what a relief

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine didn't shift hard either just before taking it to the shop. However, it had been to another transmission shop but he couldn't fix it. I wonder if it's because of the colder weather. Maybe it doesn't get as hot. I don't know. I do know that since I wasn't paying for it, I wasn't about to say, "nevermind, it hasn't messed up in awhile"..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts