S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had the tranny rebuilt on my 85 recently (at 188,000). it cost me $2100 to fix....is that somewhat reasonable? it was at place iv been going to for a while, so i trust them to not stick it up my ***$... also, before (and after) it was rebuilt, when i start my truck up for the first time, in the morning or after a couple days, whenever i put the tranny into reverse, i get a clunking noise, like a wrench hitting a pipe. any ideas? it doesnt do it when the truck is warm...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whew, thats alot. My dad and I rebuilt my 700R4 ourselves. The kit cost $120 I think.

Everything worked great after that, and we didnt have any clunking noises. But if its really cold or low on fluid and you start it up for the first time, its gonna clunk.

Just my .02

·
Freak of Nature
41 Posts
Try checking your u-joints for the clunking noise.

·
Accent, what accent
778 Posts
I just got mine back today cost $1225 . this is what was done -2000 stall conv. -vette servo-hd clutches -20klb cooler - drain/fill xfer case. this was for my 91 700r4 w/105k street mi on it . oh one other thing 1 yr unlimited mileage warr.
as for your clunking noise check your universals , they may need servicing .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i had them check the fluid in the rear when it ws being done, and they said it was fine. the tranny fluid is fine too (it better not be leaking again!!!!!!!!) im not too familiar with u-joints however...if they need "servicing" how much does that usually run?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and i would have preferred to do the tranny myself (as i did the engine too) but i just didnt have time with work and school....is that a pretty simple job on these trucks?

·
Accent, what accent
778 Posts
I think my u-joints were $12 each , had them changed while trani was out.

·
The Original A D M I N
18,797 Posts
85reds10 said:
oh and i would have preferred to do the tranny myself (as i did the engine too) but i just didnt have time with work and school....is that a pretty simple job on these trucks?
i have done my tranny on my 4l60e and it was easy. i replaced my torque converter when i rebuilt my tranny. The kit was $130 and the TC was $500.

i would recomend a lift and a tranny stand. It can be done at home if you know what you are doing. the kit is pretty straight forward. i have pics of this. i have to locate them, but i have them somewhere. i upgraded all items while doing this and replaced all items even if they did not need to be replaced.

As far as the other post that someone paid 2x00 on a rebuild. that is very high. Normal shops charge anywhere from 1100 - $1600 for a rebuild depending on the vehicle and the tranny. if it is a 4l60e then you should look to spend 1300 at a reputable shop.

if you dont want to do it yourself look for a reputable shop. talk to folks in your area. ask the local camaro club or vette club if there is one in your area. They are particular on who does work and what work is done. Dont just go to a new shiny building. Most reputable places advertise by word of mouth. and the more you pay is not necesarily meaning you are getting better service.

sorry for the essay.

Phiber-Optik

·
Accent, what accent
778 Posts
I agree w/OPTIK. the place that did mine has been around for 25 yrs. talked w/several other shops befor I went to this one. I had down loaded some thing I wanted done to my trani and this place wored w/me and answered all my questions. most of the other places were not interested in what I wanted done , just wanted to slapin a re-built one and go .

·
Hyundai Owner
4,272 Posts
It should have been between $900 and $1000 to rebuild your tranny.
$2100 seems like way too much $, unless youre in Canada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts