S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrite ive got a 87 blazer 2.8 4sp o/d. when i drive it it wont shift out of first gear. i changed the filter inside to see if that help n it didnt change a thing. it goes from park to reverse to neutral to overdrive fine. but when ya drive it down the road it wont shift outta first gear. the govenor seems to be alrtie and the kik down cable doesnt seem to be broken, any ideas or is the tranny just shot?

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
If you drop it into D or OD and run it up to 4K rpms or a little more will it shift then?? Ive got that problem in my sonoma. It wont shift from 1st to 2nd until i almost hit the engines redline. If so it could be that the governor has some crap in it and it needs to be pulled out and cleaned. I just found out that is whats going on with my truck yesterday.

The guy at the tranny shop told me how to check it. Take your truck out and drive it in reverse for about a block (you dont have to dog it or go fast), stop-leave it in reverse and shut the truck off. Then put it in park and restart it. Put it in OD and drive it, see if it shifts ok then. Mine didnt at first. Then I shifted the truck manually from 1 to 2 and so on and it shifted perfectly at the correct rpms. Be warned that the problem will come back. My truck only worked right for about 2 blocks and then screwed up again. But at least now I know what needs to be done. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried it last night man...no help...i guess ill just go drop it ta the shop..i gotta get it goin its the winter beater n its snowin now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts