S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of finishing my 355 engine to replace the 2.8 that my 93 s10 came out with stock. I am curious as to what anyone suggests transmission wise ( auto) and out of what vehichle I could find a used one in, in a junkyard. Also I am looking for a posi track rear end, that I can install 4/11 gears in with minimal bolt up issues. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Unda Construction
83 Posts
Whodaheck99 said:
if you are going to do alot of highway driving I would go with 2:56.
A 2:56 for highway driving with a 355???? Are you serious???? :rolleyes:

If you plan to race the truck at all (which I expect that you might) then I'd suggest 3:73 gears. With 3:73's you'll still have punch out of the hole.....and they aren't bad on the highway really. Alot will depend on how "built" your motor is......... because gear choice will be crucial to how the truck performs in the 1/4 mile.

I ran 3:73's in my '70 chevy truck with a 355 for a few years......I would rather have had 4:10's or 4:56's to really hammer it out of the hole better......but with 3:73's I was able to drive on the highway without really beating the motor with constant high RPM's at cruising speed.

As for a transmission....get a turbo 350 and build it. 350's are stronger than a 700R4....and 350's will climb RPM's faster than a 700R4 or a turbo 400 (400's are a torque monster transmission so you'll lose a bit of HP running one, but the one I had professionally built couldn't be killed!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a 87 S-10 with a 375 HP 350 SBC. With a Turbo 350 Street Strip Trans, with a low first gear. I put 4:11 in it, and it work great at the track. But not on the street. I put 2:56 in it and still move, with that low first gear.

·
Unda Construction
83 Posts
Whodaheck99 said:
I got a 87 S-10 with a 375 HP 350 SBC. With a Turbo 350 Street Strip Trans, with a low first gear. I put 4:11 in it, and it work great at the track. But not on the street. I put 2:56 in it and still move, with that low first gear.
I'm not doubting that it won't move......but not like it would if you had a set of 3:73's in it ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts