S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im just getting started with my truck (2.2L 1995 sonoma). One problem i cant find any headers does anyone know of them for a 1995. But what i really want to know about is the B&W shift kits. Mines an auto tranny (thats a 4 speed right) What will the shift kit allow me to do. Could i shift it manuly. Is it worth it? Thank you. ( i raced a dakota v8 with duals and a shifter kit wanna try to keep it in site) ok it wasnt that bad lol peace.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JCW has two shift kits for the auto's does anyone know how they preform or what they do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Usually a shift kit drastically shortens the time it takes the tranny to shift gears, making shifts more abrupt and much harder.

Remember to beef up your u-joints and driveshaft if you are serious about this mod.

·
Registered
43 Posts
u joints

That aint no lie about the U joints. i race regularly and i speed shift when i do race. Im now on my third rear U joint. no big deal takes about 30min from begin to end to change. but keep an eye on them if you get a shift kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lakewood used to make a line of U-joints called Bullet Proof.

Kinda pricey, but considering the savings in headaches they were worth it.

You might want to look into it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another note to anyone who speed shifts.

It's not always the rear u-joint that fails.

Be sure that you have a driveshaft loop or some type of arresting device should your front u-joint fail.

Otherwise, you could have a big, spinning piece of metal in the ****pit with you. (Ever wondered what it would be like to be in a blender?)

·
Registered
43 Posts
u joints

thanks for the advise. your right about not only the rear going out. just my rear have been going out. but i do check my front U on a regular basis.

·
Registered
43 Posts
u joints

ill have to look into that arrester. that would be bad if it happened.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Me either, but I have had one gouge a peachy groove in the floor board as it came around.

At the apex of it's arc it actually cut through and I could pick out pieces of carpet.

All that and I was at a stoplight.

If I had been going at any real rate of speed, that driveshaft would have been in my lap, or worse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
u joint

sounds rough hope that doesnt happen to ya. or me in any case.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my 2.2 shift very sluggishly so what will this kit allow me to do. Whats speed shift. only 17 still learning sorry a head of time. no speeding ticket yet but im sure my day will come.

·
Registered
43 Posts
speed shift

speed shifting will save you time in a race. it can even help you win dont fell bad alot of people dont know what it means. you know when you shift you slow down unlike with an automatic changing gears wont slow it down but you cant wind the gears out for all their worth in in automatic. well this is where speed shifting comes in handy. you have the best of both worlds. what you do is when you shift you push in the clutch without taking your foot off of the gas and dump the clutch after your in the next gear. it takes practice and is hard to do. you have to be quick and feel just the right time to do it. but if used properly it can make the difference between winning and losing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Carefull!

When you first try this do it at low throttle.

Remember not to increase too much throttle while the clutch is in.

That way if you miss your gear you wont frag the engine.

Try to concentrate on keeping your gas foot still while moving your clutch. If you lift your right foot you slow down, if you push it too far you could over rev causing your synchro to work against you.

That oughta get you started. Eventually you will notice how easily you can make the tires bark right when you want. Then start workin' your speed up.

It's all about gettin' the "feel" of your machine and makin it do just what you want. ( Without breaking it )

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
GUYS!!!, run a driveshaft loop. I was running my 90 5.0 (I KNOW A FORD) about 10 years ago. Left hard!! about a 1ooth of a second after I powershifted to second, I was looking straight down at the ground!!! Scared the **** out of me. Front U joint let go, dug in and stood the friggin car up on its front bumper!! thank god it came down on all 4 but it blew out my back hatch and bent both axles. Not to mention the pair of jeans it cost me lol. Seriously though. for 30 bucks it's worth the money. Just put one on mine so its ready for the Shift improver when they come out....Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think in that case I would probably need 2 pairs of jean, 1 when it happened, and the 2nd when someone explained to me what actually happened due to the fact I would have been so scared that I couldn't remember. lol:uhoh:

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
All I can say is I have done a 150 on a bike and had the pleasure of going for a ride in a 1998 turbo 911. speedo read 160 going over the bridge to The beach by me. That day at the track scared me more than anything. It actually dug a hole about 3 1/2 inches deep. took them almost an hour to fix the track. was told I couldnt race the car till I had one installed. Dam that NOS system LOL...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts