S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my '95 2.2 even though the idiot I was getting it off of blew something in the drivetrain the morning I was picking it up. Was gonna part it out and scrap it, but I decided to replace whatever is broke and make it drivable. This makes two rebuild vehicles I'm going to have in my small suburbia driveway. The other is a '95 Neon ACR, but that's another story for another time.

(Sorry to whomever responded to the classified ads I posted. I haven't got around to checking my messages on the machine yet to get back to people and let them know I'm no longer parting out.)

Anyways, I've come to the conclusion he blew the clutch AND tranny. I can start it and run it "through gears" with the clutch pedal not depressed. No grinding, nothing. Maybe he broke the forks? It smells like he burnt the clutch up something bad. I know the smell. I had an 85 manual Ford Aerostar that I burnt the clutch out of a few years ago. It's very distinctive, to me at least.

I figure I'll swing by the local Pull-A-Part and drop a T5 out of something. I don't want to dump too much money in it considering I'm going to be investing alot of money in fixing the wrecked Neon soon (Yay Autocross). I figure, at the same time as getting a T5, I'll snag a used clutch, pressure plate, throwout, etc. and stick it on too to at least get it drivable for the time being. How long can I expect a used clutch assembly to hold up under some off and on easy driving?

I just need it to last long enough to get the Neon in good order before I start dumping cash into the S-10 to make it run like a top?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Throwing the beast on jack stands tomorrow, pulling the tires, and a family friend who owns a tranny shop is gonna swing by and look at at. Odds are he can diagnose the problem quickly by starting it and sliding underneath.

EDIT: I'll snap some pics of me new free truck in the morning and get 'em on here. :D

·
I'm Cooler Online
198 Posts
Do you think the clutch could be permanently engaged?

Don't know, but usually when a tranny goes there's lots of noise and/or when you put it in one of the bad gears the shifter feels really funny, but usually only 1 or 2 gears go at a time, not all of them. We've had several old Toyota trucks (84-88) where we lost 4th gear in them, but my grandpa drove his for like 2 years by revving 3rd and skipping to 4th :rotf: (I'm serious :haha: )

If you can run through the gears with the engine running either the clutch is totally gone.... or he somehow broke the shifter? I've never heard of a manual tranny losing ALL gears at once.

edit: Haha, more memories, I blew the tranny in my 67 waaaaaaaay back in the day being stupid, it was an old 3 speed. I buried it in mud and was rocking it back and forth and I revved reverse to hard and BOOOM, I took out R and 1st in one shot :rotf: but I still had 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got it up on the stands and got all four tires off. Front brakes are locked up totally. I could tell they were when we were pushing and pulling it around to get it in the garage with the big Ford tractor.

Rear end is demolished. When you spin the driveshaft, it won't turn the axle and just clanks and clatters. Also, I put it in all the gears, one at a time, and turned the driveshaft freely. Now, I'm not sure, but shouldn't it not freely spin with the tranny in gear? :censor:

Posting pics of the truck shortly. Aside from the aforementioned problems, the truck was free and totally worth fixing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Pics 1-3: Shots from around the truck
Pic 4: The only major flaw. I'm sure it'll pop right out.
Pic 5: The only surface rust I can find on the truck. Same bedside as the dent.

There's a few other smaller dents. All can be pushed out or pulled. Tailgate is in bad shape though, and I'm going to have to replace it. :( Obviously worrying about all this after I get the drivetrain fixed and give it a nice thorough tune-up.

·
I'm Cooler Online
198 Posts
So, you're saying that when you put each in and let the clutch out the driveshaft will spin, but not the rear end? Well, then you may have no clutch or tranny issues, like you said, blown rear end :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. With the truck not running, I put the tranny in gear and spin the driveshaft. It spins freely with not resistance. I assumed that with the tranny in gear, it would have at least some resistance. It's been a long time since I've had to troubleshoot a manual drivetrain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. With the truck not running, I put the tranny in gear and spin the driveshaft. It spins freely with not resistance. I assumed that with the tranny in gear, it would have at least some resistance. It's been a long time since I've had to troubleshoot a manual drivetrain.
Yea you should'nt be able to spin the rear end when it's in gear. If it's making noise from the rear end you might also want to pull the pumpkin cover and take a look at that while it's on stands also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The professional's verdict is: Rear end is blown out and clutch is burnt up... Picking up the new rear end tomorrow morning and ordering a LuK clutch kit. Should be on the road by Saturday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, rear differential is swapped out. Transmission is pulled and at the shop being inspected. Clutch and flywheel are removed with the flywheel going to a shop for resurfacing tomorrow. New LuK clutch is in the garage. New front brake calipers are installed since the previous owner cooked the old ones.

Current problem: Pilot Bushing is STUCK! ARG!!! I've tried all the tricks and I'm ready to chisel it out.

Pictured below is the new LuK clutch, new caliper installed, old clutch, old flywheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts