S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I just cummed.
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not upright, but I was happy with the outcome. I needed something that would fit more people and hold lots of cargo. It's comfortable to boot.

I wanted to look at a 97 F150, but it was sold before I got to it. I wasn't going to look at the Lexus, but I'm glad I did. The only thing I've done was tinted the side markers since these pics. I painted the grille as it is here after I got it. I didn't like the "gun metal" look. Maybe I'll get some stock 18s from a newer 330/350 and tint the front windows.

It's a glorified Toyota, I know. I've even said it myself.

The Saab at it's best:

The Lexus (the wing adds a few HP at best):

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,463 Posts
Good move. :tup: saabs are for chicks. :haha:

Hows the lexus ride? ive always liked their suv's

·
I just cummed.
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It rides just like a car. I often forget I'm in a SUV. I know it's basically an AWD Camry, but I dig it.

I want a Saab and S10 again, but for now I'll drive this. :haha:

It looks so much better with the side markers smoked, I tell ya.

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,463 Posts
I always thought it would look good with all the lights smoked. some 22's nice dark tint and a mild drop. :haha:

·
I just cummed.
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want the stock 18s and maybe a black bull bar, that's all.

I can't even find a black bull bar, so if anyone has any sites let me know.

I considered a brush guard, but it would bad on here most likely.

I'm back in Ohio. I'll probably be here for a bit.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
we have owned a 97 f150 4x4 for many years now and well if you had gotten it then youd better have had a couple grand ready for new parts.

we just got done having to replace balljoints brakes steering parts transfer case gasket and the rotten exhaust manifolds and broken bolts and lots more parts and it was basically 2,000 bucks for parts, we did all the work ourselves.,

these trucks eat parts like that really bad.

they do run good usually but you gotta watch for any minor vacuum leak, anf the front most bank 1 02 sensors are commonly bad on these also, in which it will set trouble codes for, and did on ours.

also on the RWAL models like ours the ABS light is always on and the code scanner wont work on it and there seems to be no fix for it and replacing the sensor in the rear axle didtn change anything.

no one has any idea how to fix the ABS light on these in 97 for some reason.

apparently its not possible

these trucks eat alot of hard parts and $$$$$$$

we have many in our shop for new balljpoints and other parts and on the fords its not just the balljoint but you have to buy the entire control arms because they are one piece, not pressed in or anything like that, like in the olden days

anotjer issue with these trucks especially if its the 4.6L one is that they have a hard time putting out any power to get going from a stop to pull weight, etc. we have a big 18 foot car trailer and well it struggles to get it moving also the brakes are horrible and just dont have the grabbing power you need for a big truck like this. even with brand new rotors and everything.

also the steering is very stiff you have to put some effort into steering it especially at lower speeds.

now the little ranger pickups they are ok, i am driving a 93 right now that i just had to replace the distributor in becuase the gear wore out al the way the stripped(3.0L with 241k miles on it) and the kid left town before i got it done he lives down south so it look slike i have a new truck for a while. the steering is fine in it and the brakes are way awesome good like my 91 s10 ones are. it seems the full size ford trucks have the brake and steering issues, and the smaller trucks have the engine issues.

also the starter hangs up now and then, in the ranger and you have to unhook the batt cable and solenoid wire, akso the engine runs horribly when cold like its carbed and cold blooded kind of running bad, and barely idles, but is fine when you drive it

im just gonna keep my 205k miles beater s-10 truck i run the hell out of it and the worst thing i ever had happen is a rear wheel seal blew and one front brake hose(also simple fix) also the idler arm finally wore out, but well thats easy., its super fast runs perfect, it only really needs new intake valve stem seals but its not a huge issue, but im gonna do them sooner than later i think

we had a saab in the shop not too long ago for some minor repair and those things are different unique hehehehe, so are the old volvos from the early 80s wow, you ever replace the belt on one of them? yeah to set tension on those the crank pulley comes apart and has shims you add or subtract them to change belt tension...

wow odd stuff..,.

the car was a better deal,

good job, id have done the same. the truck would have cost you quite a bit more than the purchase price.

·
I just cummed.
18,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The F150 was a 4.2L. I read many bad things on the truck, but then again I've also read things about the Lexus transmission. I'll go easy on it, like I do all of my vehicles and I should be allright.

I miss the Saab, but the thing was too small. I can't believe I met a couple that said they camped in theirs (along with their dog). I could barely fit groceries in mine. The next one I get will be a hatchback.

·
PAGING DR. ******!
7,371 Posts
Awesomeness. :tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts