S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting something to help calm the infamous ext cab wheel hop, but I also plan on doing a drop later...what options do I have

I know that I could get regular traction bars, but I'm afraid that once I drop the back with blocks, the traction bars are going to sit too close to the ground, and I'd end up tearing one off...

what about Cal-Tracs? I've seen them a few times, but I know little about them, or where to get them, but they seem to be lower profile than the traction bars...

·
Icy S-10
54 Posts
:D :D Dont waste your money on traction bars, all you need is the fifth shock that goes on the right rear, from the rear end to the frame. Iam pretty sure that your truck does not have this fifth shock, however you can get these from your GM dealer along with the hardware to mount the shock.:drinkhaha

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
i took out my fifth shock thinking it would smooth out the ride... it didnt and only gave me problems :rolleyes:. my advise is to get that shock in there. a junk yard or pick and pull would probably be cheaper, but harder to find the parts.

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I"m thinking about getting caltracs b/c they're a lower profile, and they're fully adjustable, you can adjust them for better launches :)

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
getting traction isn't the problem, cutting down the wheel hop is, and being that the extended cabs, at least all that I've seen, don't have the third shock on the rear axle that the std cabs have, and when you get traction, it twists the springs, and voila! wheel hop...

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Psychobrick said:
getting traction isn't the problem, cutting down the wheel hop is, and being that the extended cabs, at least all that I've seen, don't have the third shock on the rear axle that the std cabs have, and when you get traction, it twists the springs, and voila! wheel hop...
us extended cabers havem. i think that the fifth shock is for the trucks that have the standered open differential, but i could be wrong. the open diff only spins one wheel when you spin the tires, and from my experience on atleast both '97 and '98 trucks it is the right rear that spins. hence the fifth shock helping wheel hop. this is from my own experience and if i am wrong about anything someone please correct me.:) :drinkhaha

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well mine may be different, being an X, I have the Locking rear diff so i spin both tires

·
Icy S-10
54 Posts
:cool: Psychobrick
Psycho Xtreme : It does not matter, my truck had a one legger, then i replaced it with a locking diff. and did not installed the fifth shock and had a terrible wheel hop.I then installed the fifth shock and the terrible hop went away.

MightyMouseJ5: YOU ARE RIGHT.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
um that and the diffrence that he paid more lol, I think ill save the cash diffrence and buy a TON of stuff for my truck :) oh wait! I did that already!

·
Dain Bramaged Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vince said:
:cool: :cool: Psychobrick: tHE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN YOUR X-TREME AND MY S10 IS YOUR BODY KIT.:D :D
besides the body kit as you call it, which includes, fogs, badging, gfx, rims, body color bumpers, new grill...there is also, the tach, the standard a/c, and the L35 engine, rated at 10 more hp than yours :)

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
k1114 said:
um that and the diffrence that he paid more lol, I think ill save the cash diffrence and buy a TON of stuff for my truck :) oh wait! I did that already!
what kind of truck DO you have??

the Xtreme didn't cost much more than whatever you have. and believe it or not, there are many people that have bought Xtreme's NEW for less than a regular ZQ8 s-10....

i ask you, please be sure of the info that you post, before you post it.

thank you, and have a nice day..:D

·
Icy S-10
54 Posts
:cool: :cool: Well mine has the tach, a/c, high intensitys(no need for fogs), dont need all that badging(no hp increase with Xtreme badging:bah: ), dont need color bumper due to roll pan in rear and shiny chrome bumper in front, and as far as horsepower,yours might be rated 10 hp more, I just replace air filter and mine is 10-15hp more however, I am way way above your 10hp:bash: :drinkhaha .

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
well, it's not like i haven't done anything to mine. i've done K&N cone filter, exhaust, underdrive pullies, and TPS-TEC.

and some people are more into the show than the go. people get the xtreme b/c of the appearance. trust me, a stock X gets lots of looks.

now, can we get back to the subject here?? that was traction help, in case anyone forgot.......

·
Registered
214 Posts
vince said:
:cool: :cool: Well mine has the tach, a/c, high intensitys(no need for fogs), dont need all that badging(no hp increase with Xtreme badging:bah: ), dont need color bumper due to roll pan in rear and shiny chrome bumper in front, and as far as horsepower,yours might be rated 10 hp more, I just replace air filter and mine is 10-15hp more however, I am way way above your 10hp:bash: :drinkhaha .
NOT! You're not going to get more than a few horses, 3-5 AT MOST, with a factory replacement air filter.

If you want to play that , though, he could replace his air filter and be 10 hp back above you!

-Chris

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
OK ladies, lets stop the b!tching. We all own an S-series or two (some of us more!) so STFU. This isnt the place for flaming. Take it elsewhere so we can get this answered.

Damn...I should be a mod... :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
THE XTREME HAS 180 HP like the ss s10. only the blazers 2wd and 4 wd are the 190 hp ones. they come with a 2 1/4 y pipe not 1 7/8 or 1 5/8 like the s10 trucks.

as for the wheelhop issue. the 3rd shock is worth getting. if you have the bracket on the axle then get it.

part number for the bracket to the frame is 15996718 list price is 42.75. part number for the shock is 22064821. list price for that is 184 bucks.

gmpartsdirect.com
27.14 for the bracket and 117.01 for the shock.

im sure for the shock you can get a shock like doetsch tech or toxic one that has high pressure and put it in there. its a short shock though so most likly you have to measure how many inces from center to center when your truck is resting on the ground. from the brackets.

FOR EXAMPLE lets say is 13 inches. because i know it looks like 10. well measUre it call doetsch tech tell them its 13 inches from center to center so they will make you a short shock to fit in there. ie if its 13 inches in legth that means the shock has to has to be 13 inches fully extended so when pressure applys goes to 12 at most. i fyou look at the hop shock there is no real movement in it. on mine it solid as hell. then again i have a 7 inch drop lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts