S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 s-10 4.3 (auto) 4wd ex cab. No rust, no codes, 110,000 miles.

Once I replace my fuel pump and I feel good about everything running well for awhile, I’d like to tow. Based on the diff code and owners manual, it says my tow limit is 5,900lbs.

One is a ski boat at about 3200lbs with trailer.

The other we haven’t obtained yet is a travel trailer, probably about 4000lbs.

It’s decently hilly here, Pacific Northwest, and I’m wondering about others’ experience with towing. It’s not terribly hot, except for maybe 1 week a year, and a lot of the towing would be in autumn and spring, maybe winter even.

I have a hitch currently and will probably go for the distribution hitch for the travel trailer at least.
I was thinking an aftermarket trans cooler and trans temp gauge as well (any suggestions?)
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
280 Posts
As far as pulling that weight you’ll be fine, stopping the weight is another story, a trailer brake controller would be high on my list, trans cooler never hurt.

·
Been there Done it
10,528 Posts
Especially going down hill.
Most states require trailer brakes on trailers the weigh over 3000#.

Reactions: Frank Bukowski

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- fun story I was looking underneath it and noticed that there were two drops of bright green coolant hanging on the bottom of the bell housing- I’m assuming this is most likely a LIM gasket leak in the back and I should get prepared to change it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Add a cooler to your transmission, you're going to work it hard. HEAT is the transmission's #1 enemy.
700R4's and early 4L60Es didn't like to tow at all in OD, it would burn 'em up in less than a hundred miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts