S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Im trying to pick up my bagged truck in NJ, but the bank is being super slow with the funds. Anyways this truck is bagged with a 5 link, and the rear bumper is still attached. Does that mean I can still use a tow hitch with this vehicle, even if it was custom welded to something? the kit that is on their is the suicide doors 5 link kit. Can i get a trailer hitch on there??

Second any precautions or things i should look for when picking up this vehicle. It drove great, tranny shifted fine and engine sounded good. im concerned about the frame/can i mount a hitch.

I have been wanting a bagged truck since i was younger, but never had one. Im 25 now, and i can finally afford the small loan i have to take for the truck. Advice on this or any help is appreciated, im very nervous but happy as the same time.

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
what would you be towing with it?

the big issue with the 5 link is the rear lift bar crossmember. it's located at the very end (and i mean the very end!) of the frame, so there's no room to put a standard hitch there.

i'm not sure how the bumper was mounted back on, being that the rear crossmember uses the location/bolt holes for the bumper, so i'd look into that.

the only other alternative you could look into, is having a hitch custom built into the rear crossmember. i know somebody was talkin to jason @ SD about building one for him like this, not sure what came from that conversation.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what would you be towing with it?

the big issue with the 5 link is the rear lift bar crossmember. it's located at the very end (and i mean the very end!) of the frame, so there's no room to put a standard hitch there.

i'm not sure how the bumper was mounted back on, being that the rear crossmember uses the location/bolt holes for the bumper, so i'd look into that.

the only other alternative you could look into, is having a hitch custom built into the rear crossmember. i know somebody was talkin to jason @ SD about building one for him like this, not sure what came from that conversation.
a small detailing trailer, it is very light. i currently pull it with my 2.2 xtreme. it is a 8ft trailer, water, genrator, air compressor and tool box. i bet it weighs about less than 1000 lbs .

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have been in an argue ment with many people about this and I satnd my ground. I dont see how having a bag on the bar would increase the towing capacity. If the bar and bag is at 2:1 lets say then for every 1 pound on the trailer it would create 2 pounds on the bag, making the bag have more of a hard time to lift it up. NOw I think a true cantilever setup would be the best for this since it actually uses leverage in a good way to lift the truck. Does this make sence or did I mess something up on it.

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
I have been in an argue ment with many people about this and I satnd my ground. I dont see how having a bag on the bar would increase the towing capacity. If the bar and bag is at 2:1 lets say then for every 1 pound on the trailer it would create 2 pounds on the bag, making the bag have more of a hard time to lift it up. NOw I think a true cantilever setup would be the best for this since it actually uses leverage in a good way to lift the truck. Does this make sence or did I mess something up on it.
a lever setup (when set in a 2:1 ratio) creates 2" of lift, for every 1" of bag expansion. however, at the same time, it cuts the weight capacity in half.

as for what setup is better for towing, i'd have to go with sleeves behind/under the axle. i'm strictly basing this on looking under the SS, which is how it's rear suspension is setup. parallel 4 link w/panhard, and sleeves behind/under axle. towed about 6000 lbs, truck sat perfectly level, and handling was awesome.

i've never looked into what is actually better for towing, so i'm going with what my personal (and limited towing) experience has shown me

·
Bagged
2,209 Posts
I have sleeves and they are not the best for towing. I have to ride around at a higher pressure than I like to but they get the job done I have had as much tounge weight as I felt was safe for the truck, bagged or not. I just took a 250 mile trip to PA with my double jet ski trailer in tow, I had a good sized load of wood in the truck, 14 gallons of gas, all my clothes, and my girlfriend. This was not a load at all even in the mountains, I did have to ride around at about 80 psi in the rear. If I had say an RE8 or an RE7 I would still be at a lower pressure. On average I tow about once a week, I also have a 12ft landscaping trailer I tow, which is too big for the truck width wise but weight its fine. You can use the bumper and it will be fine but if you decide you dont like the look someday you are going to have to do something about the five link, like others said you cant fit the hitch because of the rear cross member. I once was going to get a 5 link but decided against it because of that, you can make a new one that works like a hitch fairly simply.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is no way even if i had a hitch like custom made for the truck to work with the 5 link? cause i hate the look of the bumper it is ugly as shit.

·
Bagged
2,209 Posts
It would work you can make one eaisly. I would take the rear lift bars off unbolt the crossmember, determine how long to make the center piece and at what height and then. cut the chunk out of the rear cross member, and weld the new one in. Beef up the tubing with 2 pieces of angle iron and weld it all up and down it, then gusset the corners. There might be a better way like use a larger diameter tubing and re make the rear lift bar tabs.

I have a hidden hitch from summit, there is no cross member there however. I have a roadgrater.

·
Dragging Oil Pan!
2,723 Posts
I personally wouldn't tow with a bolt in kit. But I towed abotu 1100 lbs from Tampa to Sanford and 800 lbs empty back to tampa with my s10.

I have bag on lower bar triangle 4 link, with RE8s, the suspension did really well and I could go to any height I wanted..

the motor on the other hand, not so well, my 2.8 is a dog and didn't want to do over 55 :D

·
Baby > Home > S10
9,517 Posts
not it isnt man lol. the ball is on the right side, he just flipped the receiver to give it more lift.
:haha: :rotf:

the point of saying it is upside down is for him to drag it. we know why he has it flipped...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Towing a 1,000 pound trailer shouldn’t be anything to worry about. A properly set up trailer will only have 10 percent tongue weight. Any setup, whether it is bag on bar or bag over axle should be able to support an extra 100 pounds.

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
I personally wouldn't tow with a bolt in kit. But I towed abotu 1100 lbs from Tampa to Sanford and 800 lbs empty back to tampa with my s10.

I have bag on lower bar triangle 4 link, with RE8s, the suspension did really well and I could go to any height I wanted..

the motor on the other hand, not so well, my 2.8 is a dog and didn't want to do over 55 :D

your stock leaf springs are bolt-on and they tow fine.

my bolt-on cando reverse 4 in my blue truck towed like a dream. I even pulled a 16' tandem axle trailer that was empty with my 2.2 back in the day, and pulled my 2 jetskis all the time, they were like 1200 lbs. with the trailer.

don't be scared, load the damn thing down

1 - 20 of 23 Posts