S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
long liver s10's!
286 Posts
3,100lbs
towing regularly with the 2.2 is not reccomended

Keep in mind that this also includes the weight of the hitch and trailer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it will hurt to pull a 2800lb boat(thats incl. trailer) once a month? Thanks

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
i wouldent wanna pull it outta the water with that.....

·
long liver s10's!
286 Posts
jbr18 said:
Do you think it will hurt to pull a 2800lb boat(thats incl. trailer) once a month? Thanks
To be cautious, as long as there isn't as much stop/go traffic on the way there. Look in your manual as to how to use your manual gears if you have an Auto while towing something like that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
with a 5 speed i wouldnt be scared to do it but with an automatic i probaly wouldnt.if you have an auto i would definantly put a trans cooler on there and while your at it drain it and change the filter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
3,100lbs?...now call me ignorant but that's is with a full hitch, and not the bumper ball hitch right? I could see my bumper coming off if i tried that much weight.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Karizma said:
3,100lbs?...now call me ignorant but that's is with a full hitch, and not the bumper ball hitch right? I could see my bumper coming off if i tried that much weight.
yeah the bumper hitch has a capacity of around half of that i think... plus it only has a tounge weight of 200 lbs. if you hit the brakes hard, it would definatly be comming into the bed of the truck, lol

·
95 S-10 2200
510 Posts
I pulled a 1500 lb boat and trailer combo with my dime w/ a 5 spd and I have to say it would be fine if you were doing small trips on flat ground and not trying to break any speed records. I had to keep it in 4th gear to go with traffic (65mph). I was suprized at how well it pulled it out of the water too but I know I had to have a good ramp and that was about the biggest boat I would want to mess around with.

·
matt
26 Posts
i have a 5-speed and i can't pull much more than a couple dirtbikes on a lil 4x6 trailer. i can feel my clutch's pain on hills. gotta 15 foot ski boat and a double axle trailer and i can't hardly get out of 3rd (tried it once). just make sure you can go slow to keep the heat down

·
s10 addict
513 Posts
i used my '98 to pull a 25' car trailer with my '94 on it when i took it to the body shop, i had no problems with it i dont have a hitch on the truck i just used the ball on the bumper....it was fine

·
Registered
122 Posts
Holy S**T!!! you towed a 25 foot trailer and another dime on the bumper hitch? How far? Damn it's not often this little trucks performance impress' me anymore.

·
s10 addict
513 Posts
about 25miles each way...it wasnt to bad i was able to keep up with traffic and everything so i had no complaints..i was actually impressed myself, i was going to use my dads '93 1500 but its got a 4.3 thats tired, i can out pull it in the '98 ...sad....

·
fabrictor/motor genuis
89 Posts
on my bumper it says 3500 lbs max i towed a 12' with 3 go cart and some parts and could still bark 3rd

·
Registered
12 Posts
So im guessing a 2.2L auto should be able to pull a 5'x10' U-Haul trailer without much strain. Would be a long drive though. 12 hour drive!

·
95 S-10 2200
510 Posts
wildside said:
So im guessing a 2.2L auto should be able to pull a 5'x10' U-Haul trailer without much strain. Would be a long drive though. 12 hour drive!
I would make some stops to let the trans cool down. I've heard they can get pretty hot and cause all sorts of problems.

·
Work In lack of Progress
113 Posts
if it will move it and stop it, your good. take it easy and give extra room for onramps and slow down early for offramps and you will have no problems also take it easy on the takeoffs unless you feel like buying another tranny, if so I have one for sale lol but the rateings are knocked down so that you don't try and overdue it an extra couple hundred pounds isn't gonna hurt you. My truck has done a shitload of towing most things over the trucks weight or over the load capacity and it has lasted fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So a Tranny cooler would be a good investment. Not much in the way of on or offramps. This 12 trip would be through the vast Canadian provinces.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts