1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I just cummed.
18,276 Posts
I don't see why not.

·
IT DONT STOP BITCHES!
1,172 Posts
Depends on what you are towing weights. You might think about getting some assist bags. I wouldn't put a big strain on the lowered springs.....

·
iM gAnGsTA bIotCh!
72 Posts
Buy a set of low leveler shocks. It is a shock assembly with a spring assist. I have them on my blazer and I tow my boat with no problems. Oh,... and I have a 5/5.5 drop as well. ;)

Jon

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
well since it is a u haul trailer, I am assuming that this is gonna be a one time deal or something? If so then yeah you should be alright. If you planned on ahuling a trailer like this very often then helper bags or something might need to be considered. Do you have the bumpstop brackets cut off of the frame?

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Since you're running blocks, and not softer-than-stock leafs, your towing rates should be the same as stock. You might want to keep an eye on your clearance between your axle and bumpstops tho...if the frame is almost sitting on the axle, thats not a good thing. Also, watch how you load the trailer as well. A good rule of thumb is to have about 10% of the gross trailer weight on the tongue. Too much weight in the rear and you'll get tongue lift which will push your truck all over the road...not too safe. A cheaper alternative for extra load capacity would be a set of rear air shocks. You can pick up a pair for about $50 at Advance Auto.

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
fastfreddy said:
i towed the same one with no drop and the tongue bottomed out a few times but i was hauling alot of weight. what kinda hitch r u using?
Sounds like a trailer loading issue. If you have too much weight in the front or rear of the trailer, it will cause towing issues. Sounds like you had too much tongue weight, which can be bad too. It will cause a see-saw effect over your rear axle, which will in turn lift your front end. Not good when you have to swerve to avoid some asshat that pulls out in front of you. Not to mention dragging your hitch or trailer tongue on the ground. I also recommend a good class 3 (minimum) frame mounted hitch. I use a draw-tite thats rated for 6000 pounds. I regularly pull an S&H 5x10 all-steel box trailer with no problems. The U-Haul trailer mentioned before most likely has an aluminum body which would be lighter than mine empty, so unless you pack the thing full of engine blocks or bricks, you should be good to go :tup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i don't have the hitch yet. Im looking for a hidden hitch system as this truck is more of a daily commuter then a trailer tower and it has a Sr Mikes Rollpan. The trailer will mainly be loaded with bigger stuff. Matttess & Box Spring and Wallunit, my 32in flatscreen. Im hoping to maybe get the Sofa's in there. Xing fingers on that one. None of which is really heavy on its own. The bed of the truck would be mainly clothes inside suit cases.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts