S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...first post here. I bought a 2002 Chevy S-10 Extreme Single Cab. Now, I own a mobile detailing business and I need to pull a trailer...maybe 1500lbs at the most. Is that ok on this truck?? It says it wasn't intended for towing, but I'm pretty sure its just because of the drop which disables it from towing the full 6000lb weight its supposed to be able to pull. The trailer is almost all axle weight and very little tongue weight.

Any help or reasons as to why the truck shouldn't be pulling a trailer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
Should tow the trailer just fine, granted you have a V6. My brother had a 93 S10, 4.3 he pulled our 19 foot ski boat no problem. Even with a one legger on wet launch ramps, worked fine as good as I can remember. Oh ya, and the truck was dropped 3/4.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It should be just fine. I've got a 1150lbs (dry weight) trailer and my S-10 towsit just fine even when it's loaded down, about 2500lbs loaded. One thing you might want to look into is getting air bags or something to raise the rear up, if the rear off the truck bottoms out when the trailer is connected.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Should tow just fine. The bad thing about the ZQ8 suspension is lack of weight carrying ability due to less leafs in the rear springs. I've towed with mine and it does great. I plan to throw on some helper springs this year because it just squats too easily now.

Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SteveI said:
Should tow just fine. The bad thing about the ZQ8 suspension is lack of weight carrying ability due to less leafs in the rear springs. I've towed with mine and it does great. I plan to throw on some helper springs this year because it just squats too easily now.

Steve
How much are helper springs?? And how much would some air bags run for just the rear of the truck? The guy at the dealership told me those would help, but bags seem expensive.

I'm just towing a 800-1500lb trailer, all axle weight (weight depends on if tank is full or not). I am towing off the bumper though because no one will put a frame mounted hitch on there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and damn steve, i wish i knew you before i bought my truck. I paid $13,900 for a bone stock S-10 Xtreme single cab with 20k miles...it is auto though which is better for me.

Any chance you want to sell that tonneau cover seperate?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
SoFlaNSX said:
How much are helper springs?? And how much would some air bags run for just the rear of the truck? The guy at the dealership told me those would help, but bags seem expensive.

I'm just towing a 800-1500lb trailer, all axle weight (weight depends on if tank is full or not). I am towing off the bumper though because no one will put a frame mounted hitch on there.
The airbags IMO are more money than I want to spend.

I was thinking about these if I keep the truck
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/1535S.html

I would also recommend a receiver hitch. I bought mine online and it's rated much higher (tongue weight/tow weight) than the GM accessory hitch. It was a simple bolt on. I leave my drawbar on all the time because it makes a great bumper if someone assholes me!

Steve

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
SoFlaNSX said:
and damn steve, i wish i knew you before i bought my truck. I paid $13,900 for a bone stock S-10 Xtreme single cab with 20k miles...it is auto though which is better for me.

Any chance you want to sell that tonneau cover seperate?
What year?

No plans to part the truck out.

Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2002 fleetside single cab.

I can't really find a place that will put a hitch on the truck...i had to put one on the bumper myself. They're all afraid of that "do not tow" sticker and the big red light that pops up when they put S-10 Xtreme in the computer for part information.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
SoFlaNSX said:
2002 fleetside single cab.

I can't really find a place that will put a hitch on the truck...i had to put one on the bumper myself. They're all afraid of that "do not tow" sticker and the big red light that pops up when they put S-10 Xtreme in the computer for part information.
You don't need a place to put the hitch on. This is the hitch I have on my truck and it will fit your Xtreme also
http://www.hitch-web.com/proDescrip.asp?ProductCode=184621&OID=8

It was a VERY EASY bolt on installation. I did it by myself. There was nothing to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 98 s10 short bed, single cab, 350, 700r4 about a 2/3 drop. I put a behind the roll pan hitch receiver and air shocks to off set the weight of pulling a trailer. I need to pull about a 6x10 cargo trailer. I am just wondering if anyone has pulled one with any similar set up and what problems I might be up against. I would appreciate any feed back. thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts