1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they good? bad?
Intel? AMD?
Vista Basic? Premium?

I was in town looking at different laptops today, and I saw a Satellite with Intel CPU, dual core 1.73ghz, 80gb hard drive, 15.4" screen, 1gb RAM.
The more I think about it, I don't really "need" a 17" laptop screen, my desktop's LCD is 17".
I looked up RAM, and I could upgrade to 2gb for about $95.

Plus, the best part was the price. After a rebate, it was $449 at Office Depot.
I can get an external hard drive for under $75 to handle mass storage, so I'm thinking something like that would handle most stuff I throw at it. (metaphorically speaking)

Everyone I asked said that the differences in Vista Basic and Premium were akin to the differences in XP Home and Professional.
Well, I've been perfectly happy with XP Home for the last 5 years, so I don't see any reason to spend $900 on a laptop with the extra RAM preinstalled, slightly bigger hard drive, and a fancier OS.

Hell, it took me a full 5 years to fill up my 80gb hard drive on my desktop, I don't see why I should spend more to buy a bigger hard drive on a laptop that'll be used mostly for mobile websurfing, writing papers, and just the portability factor.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I just saw a recall on their laptops due to the battery blowing up or something
like that. Saw it Sat.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=630065&Nr=200000&N=265455 4294966574&Ne=5&An=browse

Found the link to that particular laptop, and the sale's over now. I still don't have any problems with that price, tho. ($600)

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=520185&Nr=200000&N=265455 4294966574 2000000017 4294960397&Ne=5 10281 10270&An=browse

This is the nicer version of the same laptop. Is the larger hard drive, and bigger memory capacity worth the extra $90? It also has Vista Premium, rather than Basic.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I have an A105 and I really like it. Haven't had any problems w/ it so far (had it about 6 months) aside from the fact that it seems to get unusually hot if left on for a long time (2+ hours)

·
Bovine on NOS!!
1,231 Posts
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=520185&Nr=200000&N=265455 4294966574 2000000017 4294960397&Ne=5 10281 10270&An=browse

This is the nicer version of the same laptop. Is the larger hard drive, and bigger memory capacity worth the extra $90? It also has Vista Premium, rather than Basic.
If you are going for upgrade factor..A large screen is always nice(less eyestrain).

And if you are happy with XP...WHY change....Ask them to load XP for you instead of Vista.....

It could save you a few bucks..if you have a legit copy of XP......Buy it No OS installed and load your own.....

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if they can do that, unless I buy it straight from Toshiba.
I've priced it out, and I can get a full licensed copy of XP Home with COA off Pricegrabber for about $70-75.

I've used a 17" LCD on my desktop for 5 years now, so a smaller screen for a laptop isn't really an issue. Plus, if I upgrade my desktop very much, a new monitor will be in the works, and I can use an S-video from the laptop to my current LCD, for using it at home.

Is there a huge issue with running a single copy of XP on two systems? Other than the legality issue, which isn't really an issue to me. :p

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I don't know if they can do that, unless I buy it straight from Toshiba.
I've priced it out, and I can get a full licensed copy of XP Home with COA off Pricegrabber for about $70-75.

I've used a 17" LCD on my desktop for 5 years now, so a smaller screen for a laptop isn't really an issue. Plus, if I upgrade my desktop very much, a new monitor will be in the works, and I can use an S-video from the laptop to my current LCD, for using it at home.

Is there a huge issue with running a single copy of XP on two systems? Other than the legality issue, which isn't really an issue to me. :p

I don't believe you will be able to run windows update, which means you'll be open to all kinds of security issues

·
Bovine on NOS!!
1,231 Posts

you can legally switch computers, as long as you can prove ownership of both.
And every copy of XP is legal for 2 personal systems...

·
The Noma is gone
528 Posts
i got one about 2 years ago, didn't like it from the start. It turned into a pile of junk within a year. Then I dropped it. :haha: But yeah, the battery stopped charging. My boss had one for 30 days and one side of the keyboard quit working. Now i'm using a Gateway and love it, no probs so far.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can legally switch computers, as long as you can prove ownership of both.
And every copy of XP is legal for 2 personal systems...
Badassness.... :tup:

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an M65, 17" screen, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, and WinXP Pro. Set up as a server with IIS, SQL Server and VS 2002, 2003, and 2005. Have used it daily (8hrs per day) since mid-October, 2005 (I am a software development consultant). Only problem was that I cracked the case at the latch by grabbing it one-handed to go into/out of my briefcase. Couldn't do without it for a week or so, so I ordered a new outer shell for the lid and changed it myself one night. No probs.
Stepson has one that has been to the 'Stans and a few other lead-intensive locales. It finally got the flaky screen (some pretty distinct lines) after almost three abusive years. He just got his new Alienware notebook (set up for gaming).
The Boss Lady has a Toshiba with 12" screen that I got her for Christmas. It's as powerful as my laptop and more powerful than my tower.

Do your bestest to go with XP.

Vista: What you see when you go over a cliff.

·
Sneaky White Person
9,765 Posts
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8297014&st=toshiba&type=product&id=1172881381600
Toshiba Satellite® A135-S4527 $599 on sale. I think my choice is made, assuming I can still get that price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145593
This memory is compatible with that laptop, right? I'm glad it's fairly cheap, I can bump it up to the max RAM for a decent price.
i beleieve that is the one my co-worker just got and i was playing around with it and it could definitely use a little more ram

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems all the laptops I could afford are low on RAM. Like anyone's going to run Vista on 512mb..... HAH

·
drop and dragg
681 Posts
Seems all the laptops I could afford are low on RAM. Like anyone's going to run Vista on 512mb..... HAH

my stepmom has the same one i do but with only 80 gig harddrive and hers has vista, i like vista but hers is alot slower with it for some reason

1 - 20 of 26 Posts