S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
It's our year!
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh*

The time has come for me to contemplate a new truck. My parents have suggested that I look for a "bigger truck" since if in the event that I get in a wreck, my '00 "Noma" will be in bad shape. She'd rather prefer to have an F-150 so that when I DO get in a wreck (which knowing my luck, or lack thereof will happen soon) I am not hospitalized.

Here's my reaction:

I don't mind the fact that I'd like to get a bigger truck, but Ive only put like $1500 into it. My argument is that I'd be doing the same thing (or similar) to my next truck as my Noma and therefore would be repetitious. I'm happy with the way my truck looks now (except for rims) and wouldn't mind waiting to keep it in the driveway. Please advise: a) What your opinion is, and b) what you think would be an "upgrade" to a '00 Sonoma. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Ummm, keep the noma....you'll be fine in a minor accident, these trucks are actually pretty tought.....

I got rearended by a drunk doing about 45 and I was at a complete standstill.....walked away no problems.

I hit someone when a person in front of me stopped on the highway....just stopped. MIDDLE OF HIGHWAY!!! Anyways, a no fault accident was claimed and the guy that stopped got away but I hit the lady in front of me....and the truck was totalled, but I was fine. Tell your mom to quit worrying and buy some rims for your truck.

And if they do make you upgrade, get a sierra.....or silverado, don't go to the darkside.....

Caleb

·
It's our year!
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm ok..

The main point is that I will be doing ALOT of freeway driving so like every mom she wants the best for me. I'm talkin bout speeds of 60+ because I KNOW there are people *cough*me*cough* that go like 80-85 on the freeway. I will consider a Silverado or something. I just went to a dealership today. They wanted $8000 for trade-in. Bastards. Well since I'd have to pay $13000 to get the truck I saw today, I'd rather not go to that dealership. I would rather sell it to a private party. If anyone is interested, let me know!

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
dude, I drive about 100 miles a day on the freeway at speeds of about 80-90.....your point? I have an hour commute 1 way to work everyday.

Caleb

·
Irrational Professional
32 Posts
dude, quit wussin' it. the ONLY semi weak part i've ever heard of was right behind the seats, if hit from the side at rediculous speeds. any passenger/driver in the seats are totally safe.

think they would put a truck out on the road and make it un-safe? they call it a truck for a reason, you should be secure in your decision, and not focus on your mom's, take that into consideration.

·
Muppet Baby Member
4,261 Posts
LiquidFusion said:
Well I mean if somene hit me at speeds of 80-90 mph then I might be in trouble.
A bigger truck just hits the ground harder, If your talkin being hit at those speeds, and living through it, buy a bubble, and live at home. Cause semi drivers die at those speeds. Its the risk of driving everyone takes everyday.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
True that......If you get hit at those speeds you're fawked no matter how you think of it....and the way vehicles are built now I doubt a silverado or sierra would protect you any more or any less.....you're best bet is to buy your rims and be happy with your truck, less debt= more mods

Caleb

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
My buddy had a 2002 S10 regular cab. He fell asleep early one morning driving home, went off the road, hit a sloped driveway, and rolled the truck 8 times. The only reason it stopped rolling is because he hit a tree. The only thing on the truck that wasn't damaged was the driver's side taillight. The truck was bent into a U right under the cab(the bottom of the cab about 2.5' off the ground, that's how bent it was) My point is, that he walked away with a few scratches and a headache. These trucks are just safe as any other when it comes to wrecks. Besides if you get a fullsize then you're just gonna be spending more on gas.

·
It's our year!
15,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, alright alright Im convinced

**** bigger trucks Im staying with this one. Thanks everyone I appreciate it.

·
[email protected]& Fallin apart
512 Posts
My son recently hydroplaned into the wall on I-95 doing 85-90 mph it was a 93 sonoma ext cab sle. It hit with enough force to shear the passenger side wheels off the truck, but my son walked away a little shaken but ok! I would have to say that the sonoma was as safe as anything else out there in this case anyway. BTW I had a topper on it he said it flew over the side and he never did find it. Lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts