• Do it.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Whats an S10?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ranger Member
41 Posts
I wouldn`t do it. First,check your local laws,but here in TN it is illegal too cut a truck into a convertible anymore. Second,if you ever want to get rid of the truck,good luck,cuase if its a convert. you`ll never get back even close to the money you have into it(it may even be illegal for you to sale it that way). Third,when I first started into automotive upholstry/window tinting,we had a convert. truck at the shop I worked at. That thing leaked everywhere. It had one of those kits from Godmothers(anyone remember them ?) it was the hard top version and the seals were never right on that thing. Fourth,When you cut the cab post of a truck,you`ve cut out all the support. the Nissan we had at the shop,you could grab the A pillar and pull the windsheild right down in your lap. I **** sure wouldn`t have wanted to be in a wreck in that thing,you`d be dead for sure.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
id say do it, but build a cage in

·
538 Posts
where can you get these kits?

·
538 Posts
do they make anything for the blazers/jimmys?

·
Banned
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a daily driver, no. Well actually making any truck a converatble by using an aftermarket top or anything you shouldn't use for your daily driver. After time it will leak. Kinda like the T-top problems with camaro and firbirds. If the blazer/jimmy isn't a daily driver and you keep garaged in rain and snow anything can be made into a convertable using a kit. If your really interested in a kit and we can't find one we could always build one.:D

·
Just Call Me Dick
305 Posts
when did it become illegal in tenn to have a convertible top on a truck. friend of mine had a nissan he drove every day and did not have a problem with weather or law.

·
Ranger Member
41 Posts
The law was revised in '93. The top has to be able to support 3000lbs and most convertable trucks just can`t do that.

·
538 Posts
i dont think a stock top can even do that! in fact my roof rack is rated at 75 lbs, and i think thatd be pushin it!:D

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
99Supercab said:
The law was revised in '93. The top has to be able to support 3000lbs and most convertable trucks just can`t do that.
then wouldnt factory ragtops be illegal? hell just about everything out there including jeeps would be illegal i dont know of a roof that could support that without crunchin.

·
Ranger Member
41 Posts
Have you ever really looked at a factory convertable before ? Those things have alot more bracing and support than you would think. Just for reference,a convertable Mustang GT(sorry,its the only one I remember the exact numbers on) weighs almost 600lbs more than the hard top version.

But I agree,I don`t see them holding 3000 lbs either,factory or not. I may be wrong,but I believe that law only applies to vehicles that are not a factory equiped convertables.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts