S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
~ Steven ~
51 Posts
personally i think this thread is starting to fall off topic. No one said a v-8 swap is a bad mod and that it souldnt be done. the original point of this thread was to address the issue every 2.2 guy is sick and tired...the "put a v-8 in it" comment.

It seems like every time someone starts a thread about modding a 2.2, someone comes along and makes some remark about how much better a v8 is, and thats not what most people want to hear.

it isnt like the 2.2 guys are unaware that a v8 swap is an option to increase performance. we are aware of it and choose not to do it. its also about as original as putting a fart can on a civic.

nothing against v-8s, but please stop recommending them to every guy trying to get an extra 10hp out of his 2.2.

true! you said it man.....Im supercharged runnning 8 lbs of boost...and I rather have my 2.2 than a V8....look...I wanna show that you can do things to the 2.2's and see something.......eveyone does a V8 swap.....but Im making mine different....

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have since moved on from the S-10 scene and went to a lighter platform. I have a cavalier with the 2.2 and am still in search for speed out of it.

My reason for the switch, I needed a more efficient vehicle for daily transportation, something a little more simpe to work on with little downtime, and something that I can still have fun with. I have installed nitrous (even though with the long term cost, it's more than you would pay for a self-built turbo setup) and have since run a best of 14.9 @ 93.6mph on a 75 shot.

I love the 2.2, it is the most siplest motor to work on even though it has it's drawbacks. Just remember, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

·
Registered
17 Posts
A very wise man once told me, "Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than to ride a fast motorcycle slow." Same applies here. Can have a lot of fun learning to drive the 2.2L to its best. Sure most any idiot with a V8 can beat you at a dragstrip but he's still driving a fast truck slowly and nowhere near its abilities.

Same applies to the Hachi-Roku following in Japan. Sometimes less is more.

·
Starting from scratch...
3,349 Posts
Good post, ZQ-8 dawg. A nice bit of brain-food to chew on.

Like 1fast4by said, I'm a 4.3 guy, but I have respect for anything combusts internally and looks good doing it. If a 2.2 is where it's at for you (and by "you" I mean everybody/anybody), then Rock Out....More power to ya.:tup: :rock: :bowtie:

·
I break stuff.
127 Posts
How are you guys only getting 24? My truck burns 2qt of oil at least every 10k miles, and I'm getting 24 with the following mods (driving city and highway, basically doing 70+, mostly 80ish on the interstate daily for at least. I don't drive it easy.) :

AEM intake
Kamikaze ceramic header
Magnaflow cat (I blew the OEM and a Catco one, dunno why the catco went out, but it did after about 25k miles)
Flowmaster 40 Series muffler
Dual exhaust, splits after the muffler from 2.5" to 2 2 1/4" pipes and heads back to two glasspack tips.

There's also the huge load on my stock alt of my amp, I'm running an XM2002GTR with no cap on the stock alt (no problems yet, 10k miles into it. I swear by Optima batteries now)

I haven't done an actual 0-60 yet, but by my rough counting on the highway I can get it up to 60 in less than 14. The funniest thing is when a Mustang or something pulls up next to me and revs it, I just hold up 4 fingers and watch them go "WHAT???"; The thing sounds pretty damn sweet. Before I did the mods (and before it was wrecked twice), I was getting 30 highway/26 city, and that was with 110,000 miles on it. Has 169,000 now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bought my 2000 2.2 xtreme to save gas, and so that i wouldnt have to drive my car with a 350 every day, which has only got me a few speeding tickets and street racing tickets along with buyin set after set of new tires for it....so ima stick with the 2.2

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Yeah I remember reading stuff about lonewolf a few years ago, untill his truck was stolen and burned.

Then there was Superfriggencow that claimed to have similar times.

The two that I know that are credible are

Addler with the 2.2L turboed Sunfire and GoofyGuy which I am sure we all know about.
phil wass up man, i still pop my head in here to see whats up too. lonewolf was when this site first opened. everything he had is a mystery and probably didnt exist. a lot of bs runs aorund here as you well know.
superfriggincow was supposedly goofyguys neighbor. they both work for the highway patrol. goofy guy bought the first turbo s10 he had from superfriggincow after super gave up on trying to put a t56 in replacement of the nv1500.

·
Registered
81 Posts
2.2 guys :argue: V8 guys
Chevy :argue: Ford
Male :argue: Female

yeah, yeah. I don't think it will ever stop. lol.
I got a 2.2. Its slow (of course). But I like it.
Do I want a V8? Nope.
Do I want a turbo? yep.
Do I care what others think about spending my money on my truck? Nope.
Was this post pointless? Probably. :doh:

·
Mechanical Mortician
92 Posts
Lt1 6 speeds can be had out of salvage yards and off of fleabay for around $2200 if you look hard enough.
I got rid of my sonoma because it would not pull my toyhauler to the desert.
But yeah the 2.2 got 27 avg mpg with my winding the snot out of it so it felt like it would get out of its own way. It has 180k on it and my Mom still drives it everyday.
Went with a diesel 3/4 ton for the toyhauling duties and a Miata for daily driver.
1.8ltr 5 speed
32 mpg
Borla exhaust
K&N filter
and a bunch of suspension mods.

Let the V-8's have the stop light to stop light. get me on a nice twisty road, I'll show you what performance is!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
v8 swaps can be fun but at the same time can be a pain in the ass and i agree keeping stock features is very hard to do but it can be done,I did like s_man said,i bought one with the swap already properly done s10 blazer 1987 done really nice for only 1500 and i love it,now if i were to do that swap myself including motor id prob of spent about 2000 or more and alot of headaches.I just like the sound of a v8 nothing sounds as nice as a v8.i was inspired when i saw a 350sbc in a blazer go down the quarter mile track at 8.3 secs without nos,i was amazed and i only owned a blazer with a 2.8 at the time but i quickly made my mind up then.But honestly my 2.8 was less work and less money and i didnt have to really do ANYTHING to it at all,just check fluids and do routine oil changes 128,000 miles and it still runs great other than a rear main seal leak,but im selling that truck now for about 500 this post really have no relevance but i just figured id express my feelings for a v8

·
The Old Man
760 Posts
Minitruckin.com has this article on their website right now,I am skeptical about some of the mods like TB spacers etc... but it may help some of you with 2.2's looking for more power from what you got ....like myself .
Chevrolet S-10 2.2-Liter Four-Cylinder Mini Truck - Four-Banger Performance

A Little Help for That Sluggish 2.2L
By Calin Head

One of the most asked questions we get here is, "How do I get more power from my four-cylinder S-10?" We decided to compile a list of power parts for the anemic four-bangers instead of telling you to swap in a small-block, which is our most common response. Most of these parts can be installed with some simple handtools and a little common sense. All of these parts will in one way or another give more performance by either creating more ponies or helping you get it to the ground faster. Maybe you shouldn't look at a four-cylinder as a bad thing but as a blessing in disguise. With gas prices sky-rocketing right now, these small motors just take less go-go juice to run, even when you install some of these power mods. The money you save at the pump could be used to buy new wheels or help get you closer to that body drop. Look, we know you might not be able to blow by your buddy on the track, but you can honk and wave as you pass him at the pump.

Airaid's PowerAid
The 2.2L PowerAid 1-inch Throttle Body Spacer features PowerAid's unique, patented helix-bore design, which creates a spinning action of the incoming air charge as it passes through the throttle-body spacer. This air charge contributes to better atomization of the air/fuel mixture at the combustion chamber. The end result is more part-throttle torque, improved midrange power, and overall combustion efficiency for more mpg. The new PowerAid is an easy bolt-on installation and comes complete with all mounting hardware and easy-to-follow instructions. For more information, contact: Airaid, (800) 498-6951, www.airaid.com.

ACCEL Wires
For improved performance, check out ACCEL's 300+ Thundersport Ferro-Spiral Wire Sets. Each high-gloss 8mm double-silicone wire is rated at more than 550 degrees F and features a precision-molded spark plug boot to fit the S-10. With a heavy-gauge spiral-wound alloy conductor, resistance is only 150 ohms per foot, providing maximum voltage potential at the spark plug. They are available in blue, red, or yellow wire colors. For more information, contact: ACCEL, (216) 688-8300, www.accel-ignition.com.

ACCEL DIS Coil
The DIS Coil features a "raised dome" construction and silicone magnetic steel core, along with optimized windings and resistance to produce higher energy spark for a more efficient fuel burn. It is compatible with OE computer-controlled ignition systems as well as aftermarket capacitive discharge systems. For more information, contact: ACCEL, (216) 688-8300, www.accel-ignition.com.

Centerforce Clutches
Centerforce has developed multiple clutch systems for the four-cylinder S-10. Depending on the vehicle model year, Centerforce offers three styles of clutches. Centerforce I is designed for a mild upgrade over stock. Centerforce II is intended for mildly upgraded trucks for towing and more spirited driving. Dual Friction clutch sets are geared for heavier towing, most off-road four-wheeling, and weekend racing with extreme power upgrades. For more information, contact: Centerforce, (928) 771-8422, www.centerforce.com.

Bosch Replacement Fuel Pump
Robert Bosch Corporation has launched a comprehensive premium fuel pump program that uses advanced turbine technology to feed your four-cylinder. They conform to OE dimensions and appearance, ensuring safe, easy installations. For more information, contact: Bosch, (888) 715-3616, www.boschusa.com.

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/engine/0601mt_chevrolet_s10_four_cylinder_performance_parts/photo_06.html

DynoMax Mufflers
DynoMax offers a variety of exclusive muffler designs engineered to provide exceptional flow and appealing sound on a full range of popular performance applications. The brand's leading muffler designs are the DynoMax Ultra Flo muffler, featuring straight-through single-tube routing and continuous-roving fiberglass, and the DynoMax Super Turbo muffler, which contains patented flow directors to channel exhaust flow for enhanced power. For more information, contact: DynoMax Performance Exhaust, (734) 243-8000, www.dynomax.com.

B&M's Sport Shifter
B&M Racing & Performance's popular line of Precision Sport Shifters are now available for the Chevrolet S-10 pickup, providing street and off-road enthusiasts with pinpoint-accurate shifts. CAD-designed for ultra-precise shifts, B&M's S-10 Precision Sport Shifters substantially shorten the shifter throw by 36 percent. The shifters are bolt-in replacements that require only simple handtools for quick installation. For more information, contact: B&M, (818) 882-6422, www.bmracing.com.

Fidanza Flywheel
Aluminum flywheels for the '94-'03 2.2L ChevroletS-10 are made from machined 6061 T6 aluminum and feature a 1050 steel friction surface with CNC-machined fastener holes and chamfers. The flywheels can be paired with just about any clutch disc material available, from organic to Kevlar and even sintered iron. For more information, contact: Fidanza Engineering Corporation, (440) 259-5656, www.fidanza.com.

Hays Clutch
The Hays line of clutch kits is specifically designed for severe usage; every unit is built to withstand extreme conditions and overuse. These kits are made in the USA and feature all-new parts - no used parts here. The clutches can significantly extend the service life when used in off-roading, towing, and performance trucks. For more information, contact: Hays, (216) 688-8300, www.haysclutches.com.

Professional Products Filter
This Professional Products Hi-Tech Fuel Filter measures 3 inches long, 2 inches in diameter and flows as much as 160 gallons per hour, filters down to 10 microns, and handles as much as 60 psi. The lightweight-aluminum Hi-Tech Fuel Filter has a replaceable filter element and resists corrosion inside and out. The filter is available in either fully polished or with a blue-and-red anodized housing. For more information, contact: Professional Products, (323) 779-2020, www.pro fessional-products.com.

K&N FIPK
With the addition of K&N's FIPK, horsepower, torque, and acceleration are improved with no decrease in fuel economy on the Chevy S-10. All K&N FIPK systems are 50-state-legal and are compatible with OE computer and emissions controls. Also, K&N's Million Mile Limited Warranty backs the system's filter. For more information, contact: K&N Engineering, (800) 213-4182, www.knfilters.com.

PaceSetter Headers
PaceSetter Performance Products announces the availability of 50-state-legal headers for the '94-'00 S-10 with the 2.2L four-cylinder engine. Designed to provide an increase in low- and mid-range torque, these headers feature mandrel-bent, 1-1/2-inch-diameter primaries. and a precision-formed collector. The primaries are sequenced into the collector for better cylinder scavenging and maximum power. The header also comes with a mandrel-bent extension to mate directly to the stock or stock replacement catalytic converter. For more information, contact: PaceSetter Performance Products, (602) 266-1964, www.pacesetterexhaust.com.

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/engine/0601mt_chevrolet_s10_four_cylinder_performance_parts/photo_13.html

Royal Purple
Royal Purple makes synthetic products for every area of your Dime, including engine oils, transmission fluids, gear oil, coolant additives, fuel system cleaner, power steering fluid, grease, and penetrating lubricant. Synthetic fluids provide improved performance through a reduction in power-robbing friction. For more information, contact: Royal Purple, (888) 382-6300, www.royalpurple.com.

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/engine/0601mt_chevrolet_s10_four_cylinder_performance_parts/photo_14.html

True Flow Foam Air Filter
True Flow Foam Air Filters combine airflow capability and high-filtration efficiency in a drop-in filter for your Dime. True Flow foam full-depth filters come with a lifetime warranty and are easy to wash and reuse. Follow the simple cleaning instructions included in your filter box at the suggested cleaning intervals and enjoy great filtration and airflow for the life of your vehicle. For more information, contact: True Flow, (866) 999-9098, www.trueflow.com.

NitrousWorks Power Wing
The PowerWing nozzle kit from NitrousWorks, a Barry Grant company, delivers instant power to the Chevy S-10. With just a click of a button, 25 to 100 added horsepower is available at wide-open throttle. This nitrous kit is a complete, turn-key "wet system" that includes: a PowerWing nozzle; calibrated jets in increments of 25, 50, 75, and 100 hp; solenoids; stainless-steel line and fitting; filter; hardware; instructions; 14-foot/4AN stainless-steel bottle feed line; and a 10-pound-capacity bottle. For more information, contact: NitrousWorks, (706) 864-8544, www.barrygrant.com.

STS Performance Package
STS Performance now has Power Packages for '94-'04 2.2L four-cylinder S-series trucks. The packages feature either triple-chrome-plated or powdercoated silver intake, K&N filter, new underdrive crank pulley, underdrive alternator pulley, and serpentine belt by Goodyear. For more information, contact: STS Performance, (562) 531-6328, www. sportruckspecialties.com.

SplitFire Spark Plugs
SplitFire offers a comprehensive line of spark plugs for all S-series truck applications. The design allows a larger and quicker flame kernel to develop that is not blocked by ground electrode; this helps improve the combustion of the air/fuel mixture. For more information, contact: SplitFire, (800) 224-7584, www.split fire.com.

NOS PowerFogger
Nitrous Oxide Systems announces its new PowerFogger Universal "Wet" Nitrous Systems for four- and six-cylinder engines. This wet system provides 35 to 75 adjustable horsepower using the NOS Soft-Plume fogger nozzle for superior nitrous and fuel distribution. The nozzle plumbs directly into your air intake and comes with a micro-switch that reads wide-open throttle. This system comes complete with a 10-pound blue bottle, brackets, solenoids, Soft Plume fogger nozzle, braided hose, micro-switch, and everything needed for a clean and simple installation. For more information, contact: Nitrous Oxide Systems, (714) 546-0592, www.nosnitrous.com.

Performance Distributors' Ignition
The Performance Distributors' kit consists of two Screamin' Demon Coil Packs and a set of Live Wire spark plug wires. This kit is for all four-cylinder S-series models from '94-'03. The Screamin' Demon Coil Packs allow you to open up your plug gaps to 0.065 inch, burning your fuel more completely. The coils are epoxy-filled, leading to improved heat transfer and vibration resistance. The Live Wire plug wires are approximately 0.50 inch in diameter and can withstand temperatures as high as 1,400 degrees F. Built with a very low resistance, Live Wires deliver every ounce of high-voltage spark that the Screamin' Demon Coils produce and are available in red, blue, black, purple, and yellow. For more information, contact: Performance Distributors, (901) 396-5782, www.performancedistributors.com.

Hooker Muffler
Hooker Headers announces its all-new line of Tuned Flow Performance Mufflers with straight and slash-cut tips. With the new Hooker Tuned Flow mufflers, sound and flow can be adjusted as much as 40 percent without disassembly. These units are designed to be weld-on or clamp-on at the end of tailpipes or header collectors. A universal U-channel mounting bracket makes for an easy installation on most applications. They come with a 2.5-inch inlet with either a 4-inch-diameter straight or slash-cut, show-quality chrome finish. For more information, contact: Holley, (270) 781-974, www.holley.com.

Professional Products Fuel Pump
Get the fuel from the tank to the engine more efficiently with the new PowerFlow Electronic Fuel Pump from Professional Products. The PowerFlow Electronic Fuel Pump is a simple two-wire connection and is equipped with a stamped-steel housing, sturdy mounting tabs, and inlet and outlet fittings suitable for 5/16-inch fuel lines. For more information, contact: Professional Products, (323) 779-2020, www.professional-products.com.

·
Super Moderator
20,491 Posts
s_man, there is performance and tons of thread relating to 2.2L performance, some of these are useless on 2.2L, such as

Airraid, throttle body space, does nothing but whistle sound

Bosch replacement fuel pump, NOT AS GOOD as this http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/inline-fuel-pump-installation-303943/

pacesetter header, Kamikaze header are 10000x better than that

splitfire plugs, ONLY Delcos or NGK plugs for the 2.2L for long lasting and maintain engine to run right than to cause problem such as Bosch platinums

·
The Old Man
760 Posts
s_man, there is performance and tons of thread relating to 2.2L performance, some of these are useless on 2.2L, such as

Airraid, throttle body space, does nothing but whistle sound

Bosch replacement fuel pump, NOT AS GOOD as this http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/inline-fuel-pump-installation-303943/

pacesetter header, Kamikaze header are 10000x better than that

splitfire plugs, ONLY Delcos or NGK plugs for the 2.2L for long lasting and maintain engine to run right than to cause problem such as Bosch platinums
I wont disagree,I made reference to my doubts on some products namely tb spacers ,and yes there are many other brands of products that are engineered better and could produce better performance results.I was just posting examples ,not preaching gospel.

·
too many s-10s? nah
91 Posts
my 2.2 has been through more sh** and abuse in 67k miles than most sbcs will see in their entire life. that little gutless wonder in the pic to the left here has towed a 40' trailer full of hay, a car trailer with a 80 dodge 3/4ton, hauled a ford 390/c6 combo around town for about 3 weeks of daily, and has been in more ditches than driveways. I bought the thing 5 weeks ago and it still runs like a top. the engines been replaced, mind you, but the rest of the truck has seen more than its fair share for a 120hp 4banger that isnt really designed to haul anything more than maybe a kiddie quad. now all you v8 guys can start hauling b-trains around and see how long you last LMAO.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
53 Replies
45 Participants
Sonomasx
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing