S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many are aware many threads about 2.2L performance are turning into threads of ignorance and argument about why a V-8 swap should be done. This is the 2.2L section and this is where threads of this nature are to be posted. There is a separate V-8 discussion section of the forum if you feel you need to post about swapping in a V-8. This section of the forum can be found here http://www.s10forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

I have come up with 5 reasons against doing a V-8 swap

• Not everyone has the same performance goals. Some people are happy with a stock 2.2L, others want a little more out of their vehicle and enjoy modding what they have, while others want to go all out and swap in a V-8. I can see everyone’s side to this and I respect everyone opinions. If you do not agree with what someone else wants to do, take it to a PM or bite your tongue and refrain from posting.

• When swapping to a V-8 it is sometimes hard to keep stock features. For example when swapping to a V-8 problems can arise with keeping the stock gauge cluster, HVAC system, and other misc. items. Not everyone wants to lose these features.

• Most people can not experience extended down time with their truck, as it is their daily driver. A V-8 swap takes a lot of time and is not something that can be done in a weekend.

• Not everyone has the knowledge, skill, tools and garage to pull off a V-8 swap. I have noticed that the majority of the people that are so opinionated about a V-8 swap have yet to do the swap themselves. Why is this case if it is so simple and cost effective?

• Hidden costs of a V-8 swap. Swapping in a V-8 is a lot more than acquiring a motor, trans and fitting them into the truck. You must also deal with engine cooling, engine management, HVAC, custom drive shafts, rear end, and body control among other things. Ask someone that has done a V-8 swap and I guarantee that it cost them more swap it in than the expected before going into the project.

When someone comes into the 2.2L section and is pushing their opinion about a V-8 swap from now on, I would suggest referring them to this thread through a PM.

Let’s make modding fun by show other members respect by posting in the appropriate section of the forum or keeping your negative views to your self.

·
Registered
396 Posts
very well said!! I totally agree... I personally wouldn't mind just modding my 2.2 to whatever I can, I already have a v8 in my car and Im happy with it.... As for the truck and its 2.2 gas is too much for me to waste on a v8, the 2.2 is fun to drive, and why have crazy power when all that'll happen is I'd be getting tickets, cause I know I'd want to race everyone or pull of some fancy burnout and who knows what else

·
Super Moderator
20,491 Posts
well said :tup:, I may add to list though, I'm sure some of us are happy with 2.2 and each mod actually help 2.2 to perform better and last longer than stock parts, and ability to improve gas mileage and better running 2.2, better performance(than stock)

we have yet to see 2.2 to be fully modded, and high 13s with turbo/nitrous was best time for 2.2. I would bet with all parts for 2.2 n/a-wise, it easily break 16s, I wouldn't be surprise if it break 15s, then add on forced induction/nitrous, then be able to see 2.2 at its ability, h3ll not just engine has to do with it alone, but suspension, tires, gearingg has a lot to do with it as well. weight is a factor as well, so there are few fberglass panels availablle for the s10, as well as fiberglass/carbon fiber hood.

Until then, won't kno 2.2's full capability, 13s is currently the fastest, but not fully modded, which is good because then its capable of goin even lower times, also dependinn on sea level/humidty/temperature at track as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Badarse98sdime said:
well said :tup:, I may add to list though, I'm sure some of us are happy with 2.2 and each mod actually help 2.2 to perform better and last longer than stock parts, and ability to improve gas mileage and better running 2.2, better performance(than stock)

we have yet to see 2.2 to be fully modded, and high 13s with turbo/nitrous was best time for 2.2. I would bet with all parts for 2.2 n/a-wise, it easily break 16s, I wouldn't be surprise if it break 15s, then add on forced induction/nitrous, then be able to see 2.2 at its ability, h3ll not just engine has to do with it alone, but suspension, tires, gearingg has a lot to do with it as well. weight is a factor as well, so there are few fberglass panels availablle for the s10, as well as fiberglass/carbon fiber hood.

Until then, won't kno 2.2's full capability, 13s is currently the fastest, but not fully modded, which is good because then its capable of goin even lower times, also dependinn on sea level/humidty/temperature at track as well.
wow 13's thats not too bad, considering the weight factor and all.

·
Not low, not going to be
346 Posts
The reason I'll never do a V8 swap (or swap any engine into an S10 for that matter)...

I can buy a car that already has a V8 for less than it would cost to swap one into an S10.

·
Super Moderator
20,491 Posts
s10blazaa, I kno who u talkn about, he never shown his slip or at least I have yet to seen it

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
s10blaza said:
Wasn't there a guy back in the day that broke into the 13s? By the name of lonewolf I think?
Yeah I remember reading stuff about lonewolf a few years ago, untill his truck was stolen and burned.

Then there was Superfriggencow that claimed to have similar times.

The two that I know that are credible are

Addler with the 2.2L turboed Sunfire and GoofyGuy which I am sure we all know about.

·
Super Moderator
20,491 Posts
yes, and adler last I remember ran 12s, and wasn't even done and that's without nitrous as well

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
I agree with you even though i have a 4.3L...i seriously want to swap for a 5.3... but i dont own a shop.. i dont have the money, and i dont want to have to deal w/ custom drive shafts, cooling systems, guages, and all the clearenses with everything. Good show.:tup:

ALSO! there was an article in a chevysporttruck magazine this month that had 30 products to get more power out of a s-series 2.2

·
Registered
268 Posts
It also depends on who you know, also. If you can't strike a deal for nothing (at the 'yards, eBay, or that guy down the road), can't borrow tools nor have the space to do it, throwing money into a project like that to begin with is stupid (or just has money to burn). If you got the know how, got the connections, a spare motor in the garage and/or transmission or whatever, most, if not all the proper tools, I say go for it. Otherwise, you'll be jumping into a sinking ship.

My reason for not doing a V8 swap: it's a daily driver that gets 24MPG on 87 octane. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doing a V-8 swap in a first gen is alot easier than doing a swap in a 2nd gen.

Try keeping the digital odometer in a 98+, speedo, ect. it is going to make the job alot harder. With advancements in OBD2 technology it had made engine swaps pretty difficult for your average person with just general automotive knowledge.

All 2.2L's are 2nd gen so you can't really compare it to a first gen swap other than the fact that you are puting a V-8 into a truck.

I also found another reason not to do a V-8 swap and that is State Inspections.

·
I just cummed.
18,280 Posts
:werd: If I wanted a v8 I would buy something with one. I like my 2.2, it pulls a nice load and gets me around good.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
well, this IS s10forum. You can never win in here. There is always going to be someone that'll go against something no matter what. My V8 is the best mod I've done to my truck. I love it, I get loads of looks and props which is all I ever wanted. I didn't chime in here to start a discussion over what transmission gives better mileage to make the swap worthwile to someone on a budget. If you're doing the V8 with fuel economy in mind, its not going to happen.

·
Super Moderator
20,491 Posts
IMPORTHUNTER said:
I see first gens w/ 350's all the time here. They are nice, just not really my thing. I would think a turbocharged 2.2 would get more attention than a first gen w/ a 350.
i agree, its the 1st thing everyone expects when they hear your truck rumbles, what make them more awe, is they'll never expect a blown or turbod 2.2 with or without juice and will give more props knowing its faster than stock but not necessary fastest thing ever, breakin into 13s/14s would impress them more especially we know how slow 2.2 are after all, and breakin 13s/14s is badarse to see from 2.2

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
53 Replies
45 Participants
Sonomasx
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing