S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have 2 SE10's, i was planning on giving them 1.365ft^3 each(sealed) i heard that it would be too much ft^3 for a sealed enclosure. is it? or should i go ported??
i have a reg cab and i would go ported but im still an amature in box making(still alot to learn).
how much ft^3 would be best if i went sealed? RE's website sez .65 for SQ...

or could someone help me w/ the dimensions for a ported box? if i remembered correctly...go port for spl...
id love more spl...i look for more spl than sq...im not gonna go to and comps or anything..i just wanna bump hard! thanks guys

btw the mesurments i have so far are
H: 16.5"
W: 52"
D1: 3"
D2: 12"

those measurments should give about 1.365ft^3 each (not counting the displacement) w/ 3/4 mdf...
im only 5'7" i lost some clicks wen i measured 12" for bottom..but it was nothing big...i cut up a piece of cardboard w/ those dimensions and placed in the back of my seat and i was pritty comfortable so it would be nice to keep those measurments, unless the box would have to be smaller..thanks again!

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
The smaller the box size when its sealed the better it will be in some cases. Smaller boxes allow for greater power handling, but if you really want to shake some concrete then ported is probably the way to go for you.

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
smaller box is a definet can do...but shaken concrete is well...i'd be very grateful..lmao why the fock am i talken like this?

i'd love ported but like i sed yea, im a straight up amature wen it comes to ported..maybe i'll stick w/ sealed for now..then later on in the future i'll try and make a ported box...
so gasoline around the rusty shit? thanks guys!

btw so um .654 ft^3 would be good...right? should i consider the displacement when im doing the dimensions...or do i just build the box at .65 or .654 watever...and dont worry about the displacement?

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
kae...um i figured out dimensions for a box with the displacements so...they each have about um .655 ft^3 each after puttin the sub in...so yea after the displacement :) , that should be good right? lol and yes, i'll use vasoline.. :D

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
i built a 1.4 cube box for a 10 last weekend.. the guy who I built it for swore to me up and down that it was 1.5 cubes sealed

no wonder it sounded like crap, that was for ported :rolleyes:

·
Audiomentry
597 Posts
If you wanna go sealed here it is. My concern is the Top Depth for your woofer. you'll need about .8 gross volume to get .65cf. Cause the SE 10 displaces .14cf. this is the closest I got for a single woofer.

W x H x depth divided by 1728
this will give you the cubic inches you need
for example with your measurements minus the box wall thickness(3/4 MDF)
20W, 17H, 4TD, 9BD
20-1.5" =18.5"
17-1.5"= 15.5"
4-1.5"=2.5"
9-1.5"=7.5" internal dimensions

2.5+7.5=10
10/2=5 Depth=5
18.5x15.5x5=1433.75
1433.75/1728=.8297 inches cubed
this is your box volume

Just trim off the numbers to get desired volume and dimension need. You do the Math!

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
wow, 12" deep at the bottom? i cant go deeper than 8" or ill be eating the steering wheel. im pretty much having the same problem as you, finding the right ft^3 for ported boxes. how deep is your box in the middle, wnere you;re going to mount the sub?

·
Chrome sucks-Get over it!
850 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
Give each one .65 cu ft or risk loosing good sound quality, as far as your pole vent i would just rub a little bit o' vasoline arounnd it
:bs:

sound quality is subjective, but in general the larger boxes sound better. the problem is that with too small of a box, the group delay goes up, and you get no low end, along with a small peak in the upper bass region.

the only bad things about bigger boxes are power handling, and the actual box size...BUT with larger boxes comes a more impacting low end, and more efficiency.

eric:rant:

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dunt know exactly..all i know is that the sub will fit...lol oh and it's 11" at the bottom :)...yea we gots the same problem...i dunno..the SQ dunt matter to me as much as other people...to me it's like SQ is 35% and SPL is 65%....so yea i'd rather have the pounding more than the um......yea.....
i'd like to go low without the subs startin to bog or they just vibrate without hardly hearin anything...
should i put more ft^3 in or is .655ft^3 good? thanks guys

·
Got V8?
3,263 Posts
nismo said:
:bs:

sound quality is subjective, but in general the larger boxes sound better. the problem is that with too small of a box, the group delay goes up, and you get no low end, along with a small peak in the upper bass region.

the only bad things about bigger boxes are power handling, and the actual box size...BUT with larger boxes comes a more impacting low end, and more efficiency.

eric:rant:
then why wouldnt RE put .65 cu ft or as big as you want?
I agree with SQ being subjective, but they recommend a SPECIFIC volume for a reason after doing much testing of there product

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol, i have a feeling that im gonna learn alot more stuff about subs and boxes if u guys keep postin.. :D good job... um so should i keep my .655FT^3? :) or..yea......thanks guys!!!

·
FI Car Audio FTW!!!
1,615 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
then why wouldnt RE put .65 cu ft or as big as you want?
I agree with SQ being subjective, but they recommend a SPECIFIC volume for a reason after doing much testing of there product
It's just a suggestion. Some people might want more low end. Some people might want the opposite. As nismo, it's up to the user to determine the final sound.

If I bought a Kicker 12" L7, I sure as hell would not put it in their recommended 0.88 cube box. I would build a box that would give a qtc of 0.707...

Tempe

1 - 20 of 39 Posts