S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta do the spindles myself, in the parking lot of my apartment complex...idiots down here at the only place I could think that might be able to, said they could do it for 300...about loaded my pants...so I figure I can tear it apart as well as anyone...any pointers or instructions?

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
what are you driving? ive done 2nd gen s-trucks. its real easy, dont pay them anything. first take the caliper off, then open the dust cap, pull the cotter pin, and undo the spindle nut holding the rotor on. once all thats out of your way, undo the drag link cotterpin and nut, sway bar end link, and the cotterpins and nuts on the ball joints. now the upper ball joint should come apart fairly easily, but the lower one is gonna take some persuasion. you can do it the right way and use a pickle fork, but your most likely to ruin the ball joint with it, and the lower ones have to be pressed in, and that takes a shop to do. your other option is to use a 5 pound sledge. hit the lower control arm as close to the ball joint as you can, and it should eventually pop lose. dont hit the ball joint stud itself, as this will knock the lower arm free easier, it will damage the threads and you will have to buy new ball joints. thats it, have fun. lata

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok tell me if I am wrong this is how I was thinking....I would jack up the truck put it on a jack stand and use my floor jack top support the lower control arm....then I was going to take off the tie rod end and brake caliper.....then undo the castle nut ont he top ball joint and thte same for hte lower....now will the ball joints stay in the control arms....or ar ehtey pressed into the spindle?
I was thinking it would be wasy to pull out and put in....no hamering....or having to press anything.....I could be wrong since I have never done it....looked in truckin and they did it to a full size truck...looked easy to pull out....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Me and my dad lowered mine the other night. We had the front up on jacks and then put a jack under the control arm but not tight. Once we removed all of the cotter pins, we just loosened the bolts on the ball joints (not all the way off) and then hit the top and bottom with a hammer until they came loose (they kind of spring up) and removed the spindle. Pretty easy. I don't even think it was necessary to unbolt the sway bar like we did. Have fun!

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
if yer using belltech instructions then they are pretty straight foward....and with a lil common sense ya should be ok

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dont forget to get an alignment right away, or you will eat up a set of tires, and when cracking loose the balljoints, only loosen the nut a couple of turns, or you will get a face full of spring! Then support the lower A-frame, loosen the nut fully, and slowley lower the A-frame to remove the spindle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts