S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mobile Performance
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a few posts on people asking about turbochargers in there dimes but I must ask to clear and clarify...

Of course I'm looking to turbo out my ride but I must ask, What junkyard turbo from a vehicle can I look into for a nice size turbo. Where can I find a used turbo header for the turbo. Think might be the dumbest question every asked but... Also, where can I get one of those carb covers to run the hose?

Those are my questions because I want to do this since I have my first car. Now I have a chance to afford a turbocharger... LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!

For those wondering, I have the following...

355/350 ci GM Performance Motor (Not Vortec)
Holley 4150 600cfm Carb (Will be changing jets and others)
Edelbrock Performer RPM Tall Intake Manifold

That's my mid specs now I've seen 2 trucks running with a itty bity turbo but I want a good one. They say they like the sound... I want the power. I can replace my pistons to some forged sets soon, I just want a turbo and run about 9-12 boost. Something simple for now. Not looking for a serpentine supercharger. I specifically want a turbocharger simply because I can adjust boost levels and I have a HKS BOV that I bought 3 years ago and not letting it go to waste

Thanks you guys and sorry so long. If you got one for sale, don't hesistate to name your price.

·
TURBOS SUCK
765 Posts
My suggestion is that you visit the LS1tech forum since you want to turbo a v8. You should be able to find plenty of stuff there plus help on doing your project. PEACE OUT>Tony

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
If you are willing to go with TWO turbos, get units from either a 91-93 Syclone/Typhoon application, or 86-87 GN/T-Type buicks. There are probably some larger diesel truck turbos if you want to use a single turbo. HTH
MV

·
Mobile Performance
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are willing to go with TWO turbos, get units from either a 91-93 Syclone/Typhoon application, or 86-87 GN/T-Type buicks. There are probably some larger diesel truck turbos if you want to use a single turbo. HTH
MV

I was actually on ebay looking at some fairly large diesel turbos and other t60 like sized turbo's Since I always seem to find turbos from diesel trucks, is there a difference or downfall to using turbo's from those type vehicles or turbo diesel from whatever aftermarket turbo is the same?

thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dime Darkness
I think I can answer you Diesel turbo Question, Getting A Diesel truck turbo will work but i think you will be disapointed with the spool up times. I think if you were to get two small turbos from a civic or a saab or compound a gt-36 turbo with a t 60 turbo you will get more power that you will need, It will all be based on what you want to achive with your turbo build
If I built a Larger turbo moter i would build it to withstand 6500 rpms at least
I think you will wnat to keep your EGT no higher than 1250* F

·
Banned
59 Posts
for carburation i would recommend visiting turbomustangs.com (i think it may be theturboforums.com now) they have a complete section devoted to boosted carb's. Alot of them are 11 second and quicker daily drivers.

Check out C.S.U. carburators, they sell blow through carbs ready for boost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I need to fully read the posts before i post, i was under the assumption thta you were boosting a 4.3L
A 350 could work a t-60 Turbo quite well, with a power band in the mid range mabee

·
Banned
59 Posts
i think that a t-60 would be much to small. what kind of wheels and a/r housing are we talking about on the t-60

I would do on a front mount a t67 w/ .96 hot side.
on a rearmount 60-1 .81 to .83 a/r hot side

·
Mobile Performance
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks dogs for the carb hat link... As for the turbostang thing... I'm trying to avoid paying 5 grand for a turbo system as It will take me well over 4 years to even come up with the money figurablly speaking but thanks for the posting though. I've been there like a hundred times wishing I could own a good kit such as those on the turbostangs site.

·
Banned
59 Posts
thanks dogs for the carb hat link... As for the turbostang thing... I'm trying to avoid paying 5 grand for a turbo system as It will take me well over 4 years to even come up with the money figurablly speaking but thanks for the posting though. I've been there like a hundred times wishing I could own a good kit such as those on the turbostangs site.

wtf are you talking about...... they dont sell turbo kits on that site. its an online message board about building DIY turbokits and tuning....... i have no idea what website your thinking of.

as i said turbomustangs.com is now theturboforums.com.........

just click on the link and you can learn somethign and save some money.......
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=14844df3a55b5ece88c4fd53ec43f661&board=13.0

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a sneaky "under the hook" turbo kit off of a 75 corvette back then this is how they boosted up there corvettes to 350 horse. your right I see kits are expensive for V8's I have a complete system with the edelbrock water injecting system seperate oil well and pump with the cooling system for $4000 this is a complete system the water injecting system is brand new in the box the turbo would need to be rebuilt cause you always wanna rebuild a used turbo before installing it this is an under the hood system in fact there is nothing that bolts on top of the carb its I think it was like $15000 new (corvette stuff is always expensive) I would be willing to trade for something and am open to offers works with a regular carb and stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts