S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Chevy S10 swb, std cab, 2wd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. It seems my '84 2.8l carburated motor (w/4-sp manual) is just plain tired. What to do? I'm on a stupid tight budget nowadays and it's my daily, so I'm wondering whether to just get a JY pull-out 2.8l or upgrade to a 4.3l. Has anyone done the later? And is it even worth the trouble? I've been told that the bellhouse for the tranny is different between the two. And if I should stay with a 2.8l, what's the best vehicle to grab one from (power/known flaws-wise)? I did want to stick with the carb. Lots of questions, I know, but I need your replies to make the most informed decision. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
125 Posts
on a tight budget you are better off with the 2.8 or 3.4 out of a Camaro. But hey these motors never had that much power to begin with. You could replace it and still end up in the same boat. Of course if you get a donor vehicle cheep the 4.3 would be good too. Big thing I see is if its your daily driver it can't be down for more than a weekend. So what can you do in a weekend? A same motor swap is definitely easier and faster.

·
Registered
1984 Chevy S10 swb, std cab, 2wd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SCJimmy, that makes absolute sense. So another 2.8l it is then. Thanks a ton for your input! Real quick, did any 2.8's ever come with a roller cam? I've tried to find info on that but had no luck to date. And, finally, do you know of specific bad year motors I should avoid picking out?

·
time to get cereal
3,210 Posts
My gen III 3.1L has a roller cam... but I don't know if those parts swap right in or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts