S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 S-truck with a 2.5L. I am planning my build to be a pro-street project. Currently, I have removed the A/C box, front clip, etc. The engine/trans will become a boat anchor as soon as I get it pulled. I am keeping the brakes as is. At some point I will probably go with a much smaller and more efficient A/C setup from Vintage Air but for now I will be smoothing the firewall.

Today, I am looking at the wiring harness, mine is pretty crusty. What are you guys doing on your builds with the wiring harness? Wondering if I should I keep and repair the stock harness or just replace it with a new Painless harness? Ideas?

Also, I am not sure on the dash (mainly instrument area). I am debating on keeping my stock cluster and adding gauges wherever I can OR scrapping the stock cluster and buying or building something nicer for my gauges. Ideas?

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
168 Posts
Just make sure the engine & trans are cleaned & free of contaminants before dropping those "anchors" overboard! :rolleyes: And, a windlass might also be a handy option for retrieval.

·
Been there Done it
12,197 Posts
What have you got in mind for an engine and trans. Most Pro-street truck builders also upgrade the brakes. No point to go fast if you can't whoa fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just make sure the engine & trans are cleaned & free of contaminants before dropping those "anchors" overboard! :rolleyes: And, a windlass might also be a handy option for retrieval.
Hahahaha, yes, that was a figure of speech. I will haul it to the city landfill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What have you got in mind for an engine and trans. Most Pro-street truck builders also upgrade the brakes. No point to go fast if you can't whoa fast.
I have a 350 4-bolt main with a TH350 trans I will rebuild and drop in. I'm planning on using a 8.8 rear with disc brakes. Not sure what all options I have to upgrade the front brakes at this point.

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
168 Posts
Hahahaha, yes, that was a figure of speech. I will haul it to the city landfill.
Yeah, kinda figured that out. Have you considered taking the engine & trans. to a scrap/ recycling facility - you maybe able to get a few $ for them.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have a 89 I am planning to be a pro-street project.
1st gen S10s are great looking trucks to build up. What is the term pro-street to you?
To me, its 1980s bigs n littles, tucked way inside the fender wells in an attempt to look like the period correct pro stock cars they were built to resemble.
Currently, I have removed the A/C box, front clip, etc.
srip it all down to the frame rails, and rebuild that front suspension. Lower control arms from autozone come new with lifetime warranty and new bushings/balljoints for cheaper than you can rebuild them. Speedway has tubular uppers for $40 each side. All steering (tie rod ends, pitmam arm, etc) is around $100 from autozone to replace it all.
C setup from Vintage Air but for now I will be smoothing the firewall.
the vintage air units mount inside the truck agains a smooth firewall. So you are on the right track there. The GEN II style is nice, but has manual controls, the GEN IV is the way to go, as its is 100% fully digital.
wiring harness is pretty crusty.
here is where you do yourself a favor, remove everypiece of wiring in the truck and throw it in the trash. Replace it all. I like the speedway 10 circuit wiring harness. Roughly $250 and it’s extremely easy to install into a vehicle.
keeping my stock cluster and adding gauges
keep your cluster, cut it and fit in some updated gauges. Dakota Digital are expensive, but you’ll never regret the ease of usage, the track times it can display, and the accurateness.

Keep us posted, ask questions, and most importantly post up pictures of your truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, kinda figured that out. Have you considered taking the engine & trans. to a scrap/ recycling facility - you maybe able to get a few $ for them.
I might try that. Any money is better than nothing, LOL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
1st gen S10s are great looking trucks to build up. What is the term pro-street to you?
To me, its 1980s bigs n littles, tucked way inside the fender wells in an attempt to look like the period correct pro stock cars they were built to resemble.
srip it all down to the frame rails, and rebuild that front suspension. Lower control arms from autozone come new with lifetime warranty and new bushings/balljoints for cheaper than you can rebuild them. Speedway has tubular uppers for $40 each side. All steering (tie rod ends, pitmam arm, etc) is around $100 from autozone to replace it all.
the vintage air units mount inside the truck agains a smooth firewall. So you are on the right track there. The GEN II style is nice, but has manual controls, the GEN IV is the way to go, as its is 100% fully digital.
here is where you do yourself a favor, remove everypiece of wiring in the truck and throw it in the trash. Replace it all. I like the speedway 10 circuit wiring harness. Roughly $250 and it’s extremely easy to install into a vehicle.
keep your cluster, cut it and fit in some updated gauges. Dakota Digital are expensive, but you’ll never regret the ease of usage, the track times it can display, and the accurateness.

Keep us posted, ask questions, and most importantly post up pictures of your truck.
AWESOME!!!! You NAILED it on all accounts. Yes, everything you said is where I am headed. Advice taken and I will proceed accordingly. I feel better stripping all the wiring and tossing it, just wanted to be sure. I am going to have the fab shop where I work do all the back half fabrication and then run the frame and pieces through the blaster and paint everything black. Thanks and I will post up pics as I move along. I am still recovering from kidney cancer surgery so it may be slow for a few more month but I will post up along the way.

She ain't much right now but in time it will she will shine.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts