S-10 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ditto that. going bak to th350 from 4l60e is same league as returning to steam power from diesel.
Anyone that bashes the Turbo-Hydromatic 350 transmission either is naive or biased. I say again, you all can bash the 350 engine and the 350 Turbo transmission till you are blue in the face. Won't EVER change my mind, you all like sensing sensor engines where the computer tells the sensor when to sense.....you guys like vehicles where a 800 dollar part can go out and you can't even roll down your windows, (BCM). I like performance, dependability and the sbc is WAY more dependable that all this new crap. I want to drop this, but as long as the sbc and TH350 are attacked, I will defend them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have a B&M Turbo 400 in mine. It was the easy thing to do without a computer. It a 3 speed, but so what? I don't want a computer shifting my Truck. I didn't build my truck to save on gas. If I wanted to save on gas, I'd but a Communist Car. Many people don't realize that the newer automatic transmissions, like the 4L60E, are not 4 speed transmissions. They are 3 speed , with overdrive. 3 speed, just like a TH350, or TH400. If you are racing someone, you don't shift into overdrive.
Overdrive transmissions are now Old Fashion. My new 7 speed Veloster does not shift with a computer.
Shouldn't of mentioned the TH400 bro, now they will come after you like they did me. Most of the people hating on old school chevy never owned or worked on old school chevy.... And you said same thing I did, even if the new engine and tranny designs are better, they are covered in CHINESIUM parts.... There is not ONE foreign part on my sbc. The block is 40 years old and I get any part I need NOS made in USA. "Communist Car" BINGO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a '91 4.3l with 4l60E tranny, 103,000 miles. I bought the truck at 100k. It was a one owner truck and the po said he never changed the tranny fluid. Age old debate here, can I get some input please ?
I have heard adamant opinions from both sides and am trying to make the best decision I can. The question is :

Should you change tranny fluid and filter at 100k or has it been too long and you are safer leaving it alone ?

From what I have read everywhere the consensus is do NOT flush the system but some say it is safe to just change the filter along with the fluid in the pan. I have been building hot rods 40 years, but I am a die hard TH350 man and know nothing about the 4L60E. When this tranny fails I will put in a TH350, make a custom crossmember, and have a driveshaft made, better tranny and bye bye carrier bearing lol. Thanks in advance for any advice.
What is the production code (RPO) inside your glove box on your 91 Chevy S10?
Something does not add up for me. Help me learn something new.
The TH700R4 was renamed "4L60" (RPO MD8)
The electronic version, 4L60E (RPO M30)
The E- models replaced the older models in 1992 and follow S10's.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What is the production code (RPO) inside your glove box on your 91 Chevy S10?
Something does not add up for me. Help me learn something new.
The TH700R4 was renamed "4L60" (RPO MD8)
The electronic version, 4L60E (RPO M30)
The E- models replaced the older models in 1992 and follow S10's.
Man I was just assuming I had a 4l60E so it could be a 700r4, don't know, can you tell by looking at the pan ? Cuz I looked and there are tons of codes on the sticker in my glovebox but NO RPO code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over drive is just that. the number of turns of the output is above or over the number of revs in. Many cars have a higher axle ratio now so dont need to have a higher speed out than engine speed tho some still do for a very low engine rpm at different speeds. I wish they had more efficient automatics. MPG is still quite different between autos and boxes of gears only.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Over drive is just that. the number of turns of the output is above or over the number of revs in. Many cars have a higher axle ratio now so dont need to have a higher speed out than engine speed tho some still do for a very low engine rpm at different speeds. I wish they had more efficient automatics. MPG is still quite different between autos and boxes of gears only.
Do the old lock-up torque convertors help that ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man I was just assuming I had a 4l60E so it could be a 700r4, don't know, can you tell by looking at the pan ? Cuz I looked and there are tons of codes on the sticker in my glovebox but NO RPO code.
The codes in the glove box represent the RPO codes: your glove box label will have either MD8 or M30
MD8 = 700R4 /4L60
M30 = 700R4 / 4L60E (Electronic controller)

The 4L60E wasn't in production until 1992.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The codes in the glove box represent the RPO codes: your glove box label will have either MD8 or M30
MD8 = 700R4 /4L60

Thank you so much for the info, I will check the sticker again today. I am hyped I don't have the electronic version. This '91 is the newest vehicle I ever had, I know NOTHING about all the new fancy electronic stuff, and have no desire to learn. I only bought it to do a V8 swap, but this 4.3l surprised me, and I am now thinking about just driving it till it drops and build a 350 with two cylinders shaved off....lol. Since I don't have the electronic version, that much easier to put in the TH350 when she fails ! Again, tyvm for the information. I will post what tranny I have later today.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
1.jpg
MD8 = 700R4 /4L60

Here is my sticker I cannot find a "RPO" anywhere :( If we can't figure it out this way is the pan diff on a 700R4 than a 4l60? That's how I tell a TH350 from a TH400.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts