S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is my question. I runnin' 2 12" subs with about 600w rms. I've fixed my light dimmin' issue so I'm good there. I recently "won" a SCKH1 Stinger cap W/ the install kit, dig. read out, and all the goodies (it's about a $130 kit). I'm just wondering if I should bother putting it in or not. Whats your opinion's on caps???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've heard good and bad views on capacitors. I have a Kole Audio 2.4 farad capacitor and Hifonics BX1500D amp... (1500wrms @ 1ohm) and the capacitor helps but the lights still dim. Try a higher amp alternator and/or a dry cell battery like an optima

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wouldn't bother, unless I got it for free. Better places to spend money. Have you upgraded your wiring yet?

·
S V T is a little bitch
566 Posts
I would probably go ahead and stick it in. To be honest, I doubt you will notice a difference one way or the other...but it was free so why not.

·
Throw some Ds on that Bch
280 Posts
I got a free cap too, i just put it in and i guess i got lucky and it helped alot, but i dont have any upgrades on my electrical system... im looking into "the big 3" now

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
While I agree with Punk ESR is a HUGE issue, I still have to admit Ive seen caps help enough times with my own eyes to know there is SOMETHING going on. (although Ive seen them do jack plenty of times too) I suspect it has to do with the actual specifics of your charging system, amplifiers (current pulled, on-board caps, etc) and the actual design of the cap (its ESR rating). There is no easy answer. Unless, you got the cap free, then I say just stick it on and see what happens. :)

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
audioholic said:
While I agree with Punk ESR is a HUGE issue, I still have to admit Ive seen caps help enough times with my own eyes to know there is SOMETHING going on. (although Ive seen them do jack plenty of times too) I suspect it has to do with the actual specifics of your charging system, amplifiers (current pulled, on-board caps, etc) and the actual design of the cap (its ESR rating). There is no easy answer. Unless, you got the cap free, then I say just stick it on and see what happens. :)
oh, i agree. i said to richard clark that i think there must be something else at work because i have certainly seen them work, although in few cases. however, there is no arguing that ESR is a big problem in the larger caps, which are the ones i see make a noticeable change the LEAST.

i still maintain that caps are being entirely misused.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
redrider said:
so VICTOR did u decide?
Ya, I'm just going to put it in, what the hell. I won it at the car show that no one went to (the free one). :D My dimming was solved by a yellow top batt. and grounding everything the right way. :tup:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
if you got it for free, then use it. I have seen cases where a cap helped but they were few and very far between. Guy I used to roll with actually had a .2 DB gain after he put his caps in. Then again most caps are used wrong to try to fix a charging problem when in all actuallity it was just another drain on it.

·
Throw some Ds on that Bch
280 Posts
BanginJimmy said:
Then again most caps are used wrong to try to fix a charging problem when in all actuallity it was just another drain on it.
That looks like what mine are doing :haha: voltage now is a constant 11v instead of my old dimming which only dropped to 11v and bounced back up to 14v. Im going to try out the big 3 myself very soon, i hope that keeps me at a solid 14v.
:rant:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
ESR stands for Effective Series Resistance. Its basically the internal resistance of the capacitor. The higher the resistance, the worse the 'response time' is that caps are suppose to be used for.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
oxsign said:
Ya, I'm just going to put it in, what the hell. I won it at the car show that no one went to (the free one). :D My dimming was solved by a yellow top batt. and grounding everything the right way. :tup:
damnit i was going to see how much u wanted for it.....

·
Chrome sucks-Get over it!
850 Posts
I found a good use for my streetwires 1 farad cap...I mounted it under my hood (where the battery should be) and I'm using it to smooth out the power for my relays that I'm running to my headlights :D

Eric

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
nismo said:
I found a good use for my streetwires 1 farad cap...I mounted it under my hood (where the battery should be) and I'm using it to smooth out the power for my relays that I'm running to my headlights :D

Eric
just fyi, your headlight how to has been moved to the how to section

1 - 20 of 24 Posts