S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, I want to use the stock head unit. I don't like the way aftermarket stereos look, and for me, my stock cd player works just fine. Plus with 1,600 watts of boost it really won't make a big difference, because I just want some extra bass for driving, I'm not concerned with competition.

Now that that's said, here's my problem.

I have a stock head unit that has a cd player built into it, and a cassette player under the ashtray. It's all stock. Now, I know Chevy had an option in some suburbans for an amp and subwoofer, so my issue is that there has to be some line level output from the stock headunit I could use for this amp. Is there anybody who knows, or knows of a website where I coudl get the stock headunit's connectors pinout? I don't want to have to rewire the door speakers to the amp, even though it has output level inputs. I want to make it as simple as possible.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
well, are you sure the HU in your truck is the same HU as a 'Burban with amp/sub? if there is a per-amp output, i dont think you have to rewire anything, just plug in your RCA's to the rear of the Hu, and to the amp.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure my mum's suburban has the amplifier option (She's in ND and when you turn her bass up you KNOW it's not stock) and her HU is exactly the same as mine, except her cd player is under the cigarette lighter, whereas mine is built into the HU. Both are almost identical in appearance save that feature. Also, you have to look at it through the minds of Corporate. RCA jacks are an expense, and why use them if you can run a line output directly to the harness that will be installed and routed when the truck is being built? I am only guessing, but I am pretty sure they are using outs that are integrated into the stock wiring harness.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
well, if it has an amplifier like that, more than likely its external, and the price of the "Premiun Sound System" would cover the RCA's. my uncle has a Sierra with a sound system like that (decent bass for a stocker), but it doesnt have a sub or anything. i guess you could always pull the HU (very simple) to see if it has RCA jacks on it.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
the HU in the burban is different than the one in the s-10... and it might have had preouts i am not sure never looked at one but lineouts would have to be added on an s-10 receiver

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it's supoosedto have an amp under one of the seats. I did take my HU out to replace the cooling fan that wen bad. There were no rca lien outputs. You might be right about the price of the sound system covering something like that, but then Corporate would have to arrange with AC Delco to incorporate that feature into every stock HU, and then from AC Delco's perspective, it is still an added expense, so I have to assume they'd forgo that and just run line outs integrated with the harness.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ýou can buy a wiring harness/module at walmart...for like $5, it connects between the radio(deck) and stock plug. It will give you two RCA outputs in case that you dont have any. Pretty simple to install. Good luck

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dragon said:
Ýou can buy a wiring harness/module at walmart...for like $5, it connects between the radio(deck) and stock plug. It will give you two RCA outputs in case that you dont have any. Pretty simple to install. Good luck
No shizzle? I'm there! Walmart? Are you sure?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
i dunno if i would trust wallyworld but i know some audio shops do have them... its not a terribly uncommon request

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Walmart is like 11 miles away, I am going to make my way down there and see what I can't find. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to wallyworld and frys and they both had the connector, but no connector they had for any car had rca outs. My dillema is that I want to keep the stock door speakers and dash speakers, but have an output for the amp. And I can't route the amp output to the door speakers because they were made to handle like 40 watts, and the amp puts out 400 watts per channel on 4 channels.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
wolfmangk said:
I went to wallyworld and frys and they both had the connector, but no connector they had for any car had rca outs. My dillema is that I want to keep the stock door speakers and dash speakers, but have an output for the amp. And I can't route the amp output to the door speakers because they were made to handle like 40 watts, and the amp puts out 400 watts per channel on 4 channels.
then yer gonna have to splice it into the rear and im nto sure how well ti will work doing that

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
There is no RCA's on that deck. You are going to have to do one of three things.
#1 Splice into the speaker wires and run jumpers to high level inputs on an amp

#2 Splice into the speaker wires and run jumpers to a cheapo line output convertor like the one listed above

#3 Splice into the speaker wires and run jumpers to a quality line output convertor like those offered by Pheonix Gold or Audio Control

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK this is my plan- Take the rear (door) speaker outputs from the stock deck, solder wire extensions so it will reach the amp. The amp has 4 channels, so I will bridge the amp high level line inputs to make two channels, a left and a right. I will bring one set of wires to the 2 12"s in the cab, and another set of wires to the speakers in the door, OR maybe some midrange 6x9's also in the speaker box. There are level adjustemtns for both the front and rear outputs, so I will adjust the outputs to the door speakers or 6x9's significantly lower than the 2 12" subs. How's that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts