S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but I just got my 84 S10 Pickup 4x4, and I was wondering what size tires would be too big for the 2.8 to do well fourwheelin. I don't want to put too big of tires on it that it has trouble since it doesn't have a ton of torque. It has a 2 inch body lift on it, and can fit 31x10.50 on it if I wanted to. Would that do alright? If I was to put another 2 inch suspension lift on it with possibly 33 inch tires, would that be overkill on the engine? Eventually I would like to do the 3.4L swap, and I know it could handle it, but I don't want to overstress my 2.8L while I have it. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
dont do 33s unless your ready to change the gears in it. my blazer had them on it when i got it and it was pretty usless. i put 31x10.50 super swampers on it and i think it was the best thing i have done to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. I think i'm going to go with the 31's for now. I have a new question though. Does anyone know where I could find a rear locking differential for an 84 S10 PU?

·
Registered
321 Posts
If I remember correctly the 4x4 trucks have a locking diff while in 4wd. If true then get a 4wd rear end from the junk yard and hook up some vacume line to a vacume switch and poof you have selactable diff lock. I have stock size tires (235x75x15) on my truck and I never use 5th gear under 85mph beacuse the gearing is to high, it boggs down when I put it in 5th while going up a SMALLLLLL hill.

mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts