S-10 Forum banner

When working on the front end, have you...

• Used a spring compressor?

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Used a chain to retain the spring?

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Used nothing?

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Have a steel plate in your head from a spring?

Votes: 2 8.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several threads on spingles, springs, etc. and have seen very little on the dangers of the spring. I know a guy with a steel plate in his head because a coil shot out and hit him when he knocked the ball joints loose.

It is a good idea to use a spring compressor whenever spring removal is needed. I didn't have one when I did my spindles and springs, so I used a fully threaded rod, some washers, a couple nuts and two pieces of steel or aluminum plate.

If anyone wants to see this setup I'll try to get a pic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To me its common sense not to stand directly across from the spring. Most of the time, the spring wont pop out by itself. That is why you get under the truck and hit the bottom portion that holds the spring with the hammer, and Make it pop out, without anyone standing in front of it. Thats why if your not paying attention get the FU** out the shop and the way.

·
praise the lower'd
1,024 Posts
yah, if you dont know wtf you are doing o wouldent suggest doing it at all. you put a jack under the lower control arm and lift if till it just berly starts to lift off the jack stands. then you crack the ball joints and take the spindel off then ( if you havent allready take off the sway bar and take the shock out) and then stand OUT OF THE WAY and lower the jack slowly till the sping isent under a load any more then it will either fall out or you have to push lower contorl arm down a little and pull it out.

scott

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
LOL...I unthread the crown nut until the end of the threads reach the top of the nut..the I bust it apart...with a jack under the a-arm..the I unthread it the rest of the way...
works great every time! You should really be scared of it...just don't have your foot under it when it comes apart!...

(I have a friend that broke his foot cuz he was messing with his bags and had his foot under the A-arm...no I wasn't there..what a stupid idiot!)
I won't mention names but my friends and I call him Mr. Black!

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
i used nothing..when i busted the lower call joint loose, the spring wouldnt even come out cuz there was no more pressure on it...i had to undo the bolts at the a-arm bushing so i can swing the arm out of the way...in no way was the coil loaded so that it could put a hole in my head...heh

·
Fleetwood Truckers So. Cal.
306 Posts
When you are working on some lowered springs or a stock spring, just like Altophobic said is the best way but when you are working with lifted springs it's a little different. I use the coil compressor or a chain and a jack to hold the coil in place. I had a coil pop out and almost hit me and I almost sh*t my pants because it almost hit me. It's a scary thing. If you do not know what you are doing stay away from it before you hurt yourself.

Chad

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
haha, i agree with both of you guys, especially with keeping away from it if you dont know what your doin, i was just giving my experienecs is all...ive done it quite a few times tho

·
'Bagged Super Sport
43 Posts
When I bagged my truck my dad just torched the spring in half while the front end was still together. It worked fine, but u can never use the springs again obviously.

G

·
how about just loosein the ball joint nut and then take and bust the ball joint loose with the nut still attached and the put a jack under the a-arm and jack up and then take the nut off and slowley release tension on the spring....it worked for me and that is how i do it everyday...sooo...just use common sense!!:boom:

·
praise the lower'd
1,024 Posts
chrisbo said:
By the way Altophobib, NICE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:
thanks man, i have only taken my front end appart like atleast 15 times and all my friends when lowering and unlowering and them fitting my bags in.

scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts