S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
New member here.. nice to meet everone.. so don't know where to post this but I have a 93 s10 pickup with a 2.5l tech 4 and I just changed starter.. well my dumb*** took distributor out and didn't mark now can't get it to start. All I get is flames coming out of carburetor and that's about it.. need help with dizzy install and timing please.. thanks hope someone can help

·
the new guy
906 Posts
find and remove number one spark plug and put your finger over the hole where it threads in. have a friend bump the key. once the air in the hole pushes your finger off hole, you found top of compression stroke, which is where the number one on the distributor would be pointing to so you can reinstall the distributor and set the rotor correctly

then you can just get your timing gun and set it, or get vacuum gage and tune it even more precisely.

·
Registered
69 Posts
New member here.. nice to meet everone.. so don't know where to post this but I have a 93 s10 pickup with a 2.5l tech 4 and I just changed starter.. well my dumb*** took distributor out and didn't mark now can't get it to start. All I get is flames coming out of carburetor and that's about it.. need help with dizzy install and timing please.. thanks hope someone can help View attachment 336800
Ok number one cylinder is closest to fan pull plug out. Have a friend ever so slightly while you hold your finger covering plug hole when compression blows ur finger stop and see where timing mark is in relation to balancer and turn it to zero mark then look in plug hole and see if piston is up. Then look on distributor and see where rotor button is pointing. It should be pointing to where that number one wire connected to cap which is roughly 11 o clock if not then pull distributor out just to where u can rotate the rotor button turn it and drop it back in. Now the gears are on a curve so it will rotate slightly it could take a couple of try’s. To get close. Now ur distributor will turn to a certain degree in both directions so if u can get rotor button close and u can turn the distributor to make wire on cap line up it should start. Why cracking it u may have to turn it a little and after it starts run it to where sounds good then set ur timing with a timing light. Need anything else let me know

1 - 4 of 4 Posts