S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been looking into replacing some of the timing chain components. I'm new to these little motors but am learning quickly.

What I need to know is if anywhere sells a new timing chain for the 2.5L

Also do these chains have some sort of a tensioner under there with them?

I ask because I always like having all parts I need before I go opening up the motor. I'm having an issue getting it to stay in timing. It seems to be going 2° +/- It won't keep a steady number and now that I've driven it a bit it seems to be way off the mark that I set it on.

If anyone has answers or similar problems they have fixed let me know! Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Other experts will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Iron Duke one of those Chevy engines that used a gear driven camshaft (with no chain). Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought it was just gears. And something in my possibly faulty memory says you can get a metal timing gear for the camshaft for a Chevy inline 6 and it will work with the crankshaft gear on the iron duke, and that's more reliable than the plastic/fiber gear that was used in the Iron Duke.

Of course, that's from possibly faulty memory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other experts will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Iron Duke one of those Chevy engines that used a gear driven camshaft (with no chain). Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought it was just gears. And something in my possibly faulty memory says you can get a metal timing gear for the camshaft for a Chevy inline 6 and it will work with the crankshaft gear on the iron duke, and that's more reliable than the plastic/fiber gear that was used in the Iron Duke.

Of course, that's from possibly faulty memory.

Well that would make since. The pictures show it as what you would think a gear drive set would look like with reverse angles.

After a bunch of reading on here looks like the most common issues for timing problems is the gears or the distributor.

Distributor is very tight. Figure I should go ahead and look at everything with the timing gears and just don't see a chain anywhere. Must be just the gears then if that's what you seem to remember too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts