S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did a quick search and i may have missed it, sorry if i did... is there anyway i can remove the timing cover without pullin the motor/ droppin the pan? i have a noisy gear drive and its not what i want:(... just too noisy on the road:rolleyes: . i have the timing chain that came with the motor and i just wanna put it back in and be done with it. it only has bout 5k on the chain/ motor so i should be fine reinstalling it.

anyone ever done this??? also anyone wont the gear drive(40 bucks)

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
i think you have to drop the pan just enuff for the lip on the timing cover to clear the gasket
ive tried removing the cover like your looking to do and i ended up pulling the gasket out with the cover... not saying its not possible just lettin ya know what happened when i tried

Chris

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you pulled the rubber gasket outts the bottom? so i guess i wouldnt just push back in?

my motor is soooo low in the truck i cant drop the pan at all!

·
V8 Member
2,808 Posts
hell give it a try ya never kow till ya try ya know.. might be easier too if you pulled the whole front off.. meaning the core support and what not.. id make sure you get that gasket in there dead on or your going to have leaks... be sure to use some rtv on the corners too btw...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah im tearing the truck some what apart this week/ weeks so the core, rad, and such will be gone. im installin a new grille, bumper, rad, and priming the whole truck one color:)

i guess i can try it... man i hope i dont have to pull the motor:(

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I've done by loosening the pan but normally, they end up leaking later. Does your truck have the cast aluiminuim pan on it? If it does be carefull not to crack it

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no its a basic stamped cover and pan. ummm, i guess if worst case scenrio i could chain the motor and lift it a bit.... im pretty sure everything as enough slack and such to do that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
unbolt your motormounts and lift the motor a bit it will give you the room you need to pull the cover and reinstall it but theres not enough room to completely remove the oil pan not that you need to. Just be careful of your distributor when your lifting it you could get it in a bind and snap the cap.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool, thats what i'll do then. distrib will be removed also, new one in the mail:).. i had a ol one layin around i used just for now to get the truck runnig and work the bugs out. its a bit old and i dont think the advance is working just right so ima replace it to be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts