S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand New here today... first posting (so please be kind)

Now that I've hit 70 and finally retired, I have the time, energy and funds to get my original 1983 4 cyl/4spd S-10 4x4 out of the barn (where it's been for the last 25+ yrs) and do something with it. (Roger Smith had a better idea when GM went with the 12mo/12,000mi warranty!!!) I was an aspiring motorhead until points/rotors went away and fuel injection came in and I gave up, but still have my feeler gauge and xenon timing light...

73k original miles on the chassis, but it's on it's 3rd POS motor which warped out after only 11k, so I stuck it in the barn and that's where it still sits today.

I've read more than enough about S-10 V-6, V-8 motor swaps to be thoroughly confused, so I'm coming to you real world pros to ask advice and counsel on what it the easiest, most expeditious and pain free motor/tranny to replace the factory POS 4cyl/4spd???

I assume that after whichever combo is in that I will also have to change both driveshafts? Any other non-motor/tranny things I'll need to deal with??

Thanx in advance for both your assistance and kindness dealing with this old fart...

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and bet you don't want a state of the art LS3 engine out of a 2008 Corvette. Complete with $1000 wiring harness and all the other computer controls for virtually everything.
I rarely recommend it, but for you I'd say get a copy of Mike Knell's book on S10 swaps. Look for at least a 99 version. You can get it from him at:
It's dated material, but so are you and the truck.
If you put in a carbed SBC you'll get to use your timing light again.
BTW I'm 75. Difference is I've been doing swap into S10's for 25 years. Keeps me busy and broke.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
there is lots of good info in here and techs with up to date knowledge.
as far as a V8 swap goes, it depends on what you want out of it.
what is your top priority, your ultimate goal.
answer that and it'll point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is lots of good info in here and techs with up to date knowledge.
as far as a V8 swap goes, it depends on what you want out of it.
what is your top priority, your ultimate goal.
answer that and it'll point you in the right direction.
I just want to make it a local driver, farm truck/parts chaser... I'm looking for a small V-8, or even a big 6 swap that won't break the bank or ever be a show truck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts