S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 GMC Sonoma
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2002 Gmc sonoma 4.3 vortec) - Hello guys i recently had my engine replaced with a $500 junkyard engine and i noticed this ticking sound that seems to go away at higher rpm. ive uploaded a video to youtube showing the sound and was hoping someone could help me determine what/where the sound could be coming from. i think the replacement is a 2000 4.3 vortec.

video link -

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,443 Posts
Hard to tell. Get a mechanics stethoscope from Harbor Freight for about $5.

·
Registered
2002 GMC Sonoma
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is actually the intake manifold that was originally in the truck. the intake manifold that came with the replacement engine is sitting in the bed of my truck, i took the throttle plate, throttle position sensor and idle air control valve off of it just in case i ever need it. so if it were the injectors i could potentially attempt to swap over the injectors.

·
Registered
2002 GMC Sonoma
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it does have the service engine soon light but it is running fairly decent definitely not as good as my original engine, there is a slight bucking issue that ive noticed but i checked my transmission fluid today and its low so im hoping thats what was causing that, it fires right up and sounds pretty smooth. i haven't had the money to get it serviced because i bought the truck january 11th and the engine went out january 28th. when i took it to the mechanic he told me that his diagnostic tool wasnt connecting to the truck. i just haven't had the funds to take a deeper look into it.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
334 Posts
Does sound more like injectors to me which if there is a fuel injection issue that could result in the slight bucking you are experiencing but that could also be a completely different issue like a bad MAF sensor.

Bring the truck to a nearby auto part store like AutoZone, Oreilly's, etc they will scan it for free, your mechanic could have a faulty scan tool, also check the pins for any corrosion.

There is really no point in going at a guessing game when the answer to your problem could be as simple as getting the codes read.

Also it is hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from on the camera so listen to the distributor as well make sure it is not coming from that.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
1,341 Posts
when i took it to the mechanic he told me that his diagnostic tool wasnt connecting to the truck. i just haven't had the funds to take a deeper look into it.
When this happens make sure the cig lighter fuse and/or the accessory power fuse is good. The scan port gets it power from one of these fuses. This is the most common reason why a scan tool wont connect to the vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts