S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i need some info on throttle body spacers and mass airflow sensors? are they the same thing or what? what is my best by and what will give me more horsepower for my buck? thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here we go from the start of the intake system. This is somewhat simplified, however if any of this is incoerrect someone set me straight.

1)Air travels into the engine compartment. This process varies depending on the vehicle. In our trucks it travels through the driverside grill/headlight area.
2)from there it travels into a intake box that contains the air filter.
3)then it travels through the MASS airflow sensor. Which, you guessed it detects the volume of airflow.
3)Now the air moves through a temperature sensor
4)after that the air travels through a intake tube, which on our trucks is approx. 2 ft in length.
5)the air then enters the throttle body, which reacts to the accelerator pedal by regulating the air fuel mixture.
6)immidiatly after the throttle body is where a space would be placed. The benifit of this is to aid in mixing(atomization) of air and fuel.
7)finnaly the mixture enters the intake manifold and onto the rest of the engine.

-- as far as prices and gains:
- The MAF will cost about 200-300 and give about 5-15hp. depending on the brand/quality and other mods on the powertrain.
-The spacer will cost 50-100 and give about 5hp, however it will give a little more torque.

--For the money I would go w/ these mods as well as a K&N Gen II intake and a cat-back exhaust.

Sorry for the length of the post.:bash:

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
here what i heard:

the tb spacer and a k&n gen II intake will not fit under a stock hood. from what i've been told, it sits a little too high. you might wanna consider this when buying the spacer.

:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am getting the cervinis ram air hood for xmas - i already have a flowmaster xhaust, hypertech programmer, and k&n gen 2 intake, which mod will be the best for the buck, sensor of spacer?

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are correct joe_villa. It will not fit under the stock hood. It will, however, fit under the cervinis hood you are speaking of.. with one problem. It will bareley squeeze under the hood. When the throttle is opened up the engine sways to the side slightly, rubbing the K&N intake on the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
And a spacer on a 96 and up wont add anything if at all because the injector and poppet set-up are internal in the intake. The atomazation occurs beyond the spacer and plenum size is irrelevant with and air controlled style throttle body. Only the slightest amount of gain using the spacer occurs at and idle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
964pt3 you are also correct. However even though the atomization occurs near the heads in the intake manifold the spacer would slow down the speed of the air and increase its turbulance allowing it to better atomize the mixture. SO whule it would provide less of an increase in power, there would still be an increase.

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
Spacer vs M.A.F. sensor

Hey,
No they're not the same. A throtle body spacer goes under your throtle body to mix the fuel and the air better which will give you more power and maybe better gas milage. It'll give you close to 10hp for about $90. A mass air flow sensor is in line from your air filter to your throtle body, it measures the amount of air flow to your engine so the computer will know how much fuel to give it. They cost about $350 and will give you about 15hp. I am hopefully about to buy both pretty soon. If you have a K&N intake you might want to look and see how much room you have between the top of it and your hood for a throtle body spacer. talk to you later

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Spacer vs M.A.F. sensor

97SS-10 said:
Hey,
No they're not the same. A throtle body spacer goes under your throtle body to mix the fuel and the air better which will give you more power and maybe better gas milage. It'll give you close to 10hp for about $90. A mass air flow sensor is in line from your air filter to your throtle body, it measures the amount of air flow to your engine so the computer will know how much fuel to give it. They cost about $350 and will give you about 15hp. I am hopefully about to buy both pretty soon. If you have a K&N intake you might want to look and see how much room you have between the top of it and your hood for a throtle body spacer. talk to you later
With a K&N 2 it will not fit, the K&N itself hits the insulation blanket which is barely 1/2 inch thick. And never go by the gains they advertise, not even close in most cases. These are always done on breathable V-8's, not our sickly breathing 4.3's, and your stock MAF can read enough air for well more H.P. than you have, GM claims 400+ H.P., so why bother , its the intake thats our drawback. You can gut the stock MAF and get more air if needed, or wanted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts