S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
An old coworker of mine claimed he poured rust inhibitor in that area from the inside, but not sure if the opening is big enough to stick your head in and weld. What are you wanting to do to repair it?

Registered
1991 Irregular Cab Short-Short Bed
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An old coworker of mine claimed he poured rust inhibitor in that area from the inside, but not sure if the opening is big enough to stick your head in and weld. What are you wanting to do to repair it?
I dunno. I figure if I can get to the back side I can see how bad it really is. I don't really need to "fix" it. But it would be nice if I could do something to halt continuing rot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks like a fresh unit. Better ride than the Jeep - for sure.
They do sell the cab corners IIRC.
It would be a snap for you to cut and replace.
Hey Max, welcome back!. They must have internet there on the rez?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the first things to address is the ABS and brake warning lights which come intermittently.
Speedometer Car Odometer Trip computer Tachometer

This is the 3rd Gen 2 S10 I've owned with this problem. This time I figure I'll take a stab at fixing the module myself instead of buying a 'rebuilt' one for $150.
Take out the module.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Carefully cut through the silicone holding the cover on and remove the cover.
Wood Font Electronic device Rectangle Computer data storage

Apparently vibrations break some of the solder connections. I looked the circuit board over thoroughly with a jewelers loupe. There were about 10 solder connections that looked suspicious.
This is the worst of them. This connection is the main power for the module.
Water Liquid Green Azure Fluid

I marked each joint that might be failing with a paint pen and put a tiny dab of paste flux on every one of them. Then remelted each joint with a small soldering iron.
Sealed it back up with silicone. Tomorrow I'll find out if this was successful or a waste of time.
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On to the meat of this project. The plan is to flat tow the ZR2. Yes, Chevrolet says you can't or if you have to flat tow it you must remove the driveshaft. For this truck I'm installing a Remco Driveline Disconnect. It allows the rear driveshaft to be uncoupled by pulling a knob in the cab.

The driveshaft is modified (or in this case a new one built from scratch) that is 2 pieces with a bearing between them so it can spin free when uncoupled. Then there is a collar that slides over splines to lock the 2 halves together.

I've got one on order which should arrive late next week.

B4U Task Force Admin
馃槀
On to the meat of this project. The plan is to flat tow the ZR2. Yes, Chevrolet says you can't or if you have to flat tow it you must remove the driveshaft. For this truck I'm installing a Remco Driveline Disconnect. It allows the rear driveshaft to be uncoupled by pulling a knob in the cab.

The driveshaft is modified (or in this case a new one built from scratch) that is 2 pieces with a bearing between them so it can spin free when uncoupled. Then there is a collar that slides over splines to lock the 2 halves together.

I've got one on order which should arrive late next week.
C'mon man...step up...make it electric. 馃槀

Reactions: ProCycle
1 - 20 of 37 Posts