S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ever since i put in my dual electric fan setup

my belt has been squeaking..

everytime i start it up, the needle on the volt gauge is low, and i have to let it idle and sit there w/o putting on any controls inside, just so i can let it charge itself back up. It'll take a minute or 2 to do so, and then finally once it gets where it should be it stops squeaking and i can start driving w/o any stupid annoyances. My truck has the big 3 upgrade on it, stock alternator, and i have my wiring for the dual fan setup running to my windshield wiper fuse inside the dash so as soon as i turn the key the fans run, not the best way to run it but it works for now.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
Rev the shit out of the truck once you start it to get the power up :)

You could run a switch to keep the fans off while your starting the truck, warm up. etc.

Or you could run a fan controller or hook them into the PCM and they wont run while the truck is starting or a certain amount of time after start up.

What fans are you runnin?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah i was thinking about running a switch but I'm kinda lazy as of late. That and it's been raining a lot lately (seattle) so i haven't really wanted to go out in the rain to work on it. lol

is it possible i may have bought a belt that is just a tad bit too long..? haha

the dual fan setup i got, came off a mopar minivan...either a dodge or chrysler i don't remember exactly...it definitely cools nice though.

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
Yeah i was thinking about running a switch but I'm kinda lazy as of late. That and it's been raining a lot lately (seattle) so i haven't really wanted to go out in the rain to work on it. lol

is it possible i may have bought a belt that is just a tad bit too long..? haha

the dual fan setup i got, came off a mopar minivan...either a dodge or chrysler i don't remember exactly...it definitely cools nice though.
Is it the squeeking or the low power that is annoying you?

I always thought the squeeking during warm up is water pump or alternator bearings?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
it's the squeaking that's bothering me. haha.

it'll squeak for a good minute or 2 and sometimes squeak when i turn the wheel also. it pretty much does it wherever i go, so say if i go to the store it'll do it the most when i first start it up. 10 minutes later from being inside the store i come out it'll squeak for a second or 2 and then asap as i turn out it'll squeak again when i turn the wheel and it just drives me crazy. it's like having a nagging bitch for a girlfriend and you just wanna tell her to stfu!! lol

edit : i also forgot, the volt gauge's needle will drop every now and then a lil bit and squeak in the middle of driving or coming to a stop too...is that a sign of anything?

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
it's the squeaking that's bothering me. haha.

it'll squeak for a good minute or 2 and sometimes squeak when i turn the wheel also. it pretty much does it wherever i go, so say if i go to the store it'll do it the most when i first start it up. 10 minutes later from being inside the store i come out it'll squeak for a second or 2 and then asap as i turn out it'll squeak again when i turn the wheel and it just drives me crazy. it's like having a nagging bitch for a girlfriend and you just wanna tell her to stfu!! lol

edit : i also forgot, the volt gauge's needle will drop every now and then a lil bit and squeak in the middle of driving or coming to a stop too...is that a sign of anything?
hahahaha

My first idea would be just replace the belt if it isnt very close to new or looks anything worse than new. If that dont fix it then return the belt lol

Along with my thinking the squeeking is the alternator and your edit of more symptoms, alternator is my vote.

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
I would do the belt thing, if that dont fix it then return it and put your old belt back on.

If you dont have the cash for a new alternator, Id buy one from s10warehouse on eBay, they are like $25 compared to like $1xx from auto parts store. But thats just my opinion and what I would do, not sure if thats your issue.

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually the belt is new, so it probably has 6k miles on it. lol...but since i'm not using my ac compressor i had to measure it out and tell them what size belt i wanted and not just look it up for the "s10". so im wondering if i got the right size belt, or if the alternator is bad or if it's just that the fans take up too much power. i'm not sure.

but yeah, sorry i forgot my last EDIT. the volt gauge does jump around sometimes when im driving or slowing down, and so once the light turns green every now and then it'll start squeaking again for a second or 2 or 6. lol.

i'm wondering if i should just take the alternator off and have it tested then...

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
actually the belt is new, so it probably has 6k miles on it. lol...but since i'm not using my ac compressor i had to measure it out and tell them what size belt i wanted and not just look it up for the "s10". so im wondering if i got the right size belt, or if the alternator is bad or if it's just that the fans take up too much power. i'm not sure.

but yeah, sorry i forgot my last EDIT. the volt gauge does jump around sometimes when im driving or slowing down, and so once the light turns green every now and then it'll start squeaking again for a second or 2 or 6. lol.

i'm wondering if i should just take the alternator off and have it tested then...
So your the guy who isnt running a a/c compresor or a/c delete pulley? I remember seeing a pic but couldnt remember where or who. I want to get rid of mine, how long of belt are you using and how did you measure it.

You could try and .5" shorter belt??
And the alternator testing sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
my vote would be the alt but I did a a/c and smog delete on my 2.8l took me a while to find the right size belt you might need a smaller how much does your tensioner move if you take the belt off like is your tensioner almost at the end of its adjustmant

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had uploaded a pic before when i was originally gonna use the ac delete pulley but i took it off and returned it for just a shorter belt

i actually don't remember what size belt it is...i wanna say 88.5 but don't hold me to that...

i need to run and get some antifreeze for the winter and change my oil anyways so i can have them test my alternator. can they test it outside the store or do i gotta take that bitch off? lol i've never actually not take it off the car first to have them test it...

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my vote would be the alt but I did a a/c and smog delete on my 2.8l took me a while to find the right size belt you might need a smaller how much does your tensioner move if you take the belt off like is your tensioner almost at the end of its adjustmant
i'm pretty sure my tensioner is at its end of adjustment...lol

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
They can test it on the truck, I think the machine inside is better and is more idiot proof, the little handheld they use, employees dont seem to understand how to read it sometimes.

Drive it up there and get em' to test it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
i'm pretty sure my tensioner is at its end of adjustment...lol
betcha there's your problem your belts to long it needs to be close to the top so the belt can strech a bit once you tourqe on it it might be causing it to strech a bit my 2.8l for the first bit till I got a new belt only did it if it was cold once it warmed up it stopped

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm about to run to autozone and have the alternator checked...If the alternator turns out okay then i'll have to pull the belt off and i guess if the serial # or whatever is still on it i can find out exactly how long it is from them looking it up on their computer i guess? How much shorter do you guys think the belt should be if the belt is the problem? 1/2 inch to an inch?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
not much maybe half an inch like u said try it in the parking lot and see if it fits good if it does then your good if it doesn't try going bigger or smaller

·
Sprayed 4.3
585 Posts
Id say .5

You know what your problem is, the cam is wearing out, now you gotta replace it with a bigger one, crap.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
How tight does the belt fit?

Do you have a picture of how it wraps around the alternator pulley?

You said your voltmeter was pretty low, how much current do the fans draw?

How far do you drive it usually?

Does the tensioner have good pull to it or is the spring kinda weak?

ALSO: Since you did the Big 3 upgrade, make SHURE all your connections are TIGHT, I burnt up an end on my van because one was loose and it wouldnt charge for crap. My brothers car battery has been loosing charge also and he only drives it like 2 min away (lazy Ba$tard could walk.) and his car doesnt have enough time to charge it back up fully.....

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hahaha b94350, that sounds perfect!

so here is our conclusion...

the bearings in the alternator are seizing because the volt gauge stays low while the truck is squeaking when its first running, and ASAP once it stops squeaking, the volt gauge goes up. The guy at autozone said it wasn't charging when it was squeaking i think he said...That and the fact that my idler pulley seems to have some play in it also. Apparently i might have to replace my belt too?
Besides that my battery is still good but the charge is low.

I'm already inside, but afaik, the belt is pretty tight, i think i have the idler pulley/tensioner at i wanna say 8 or 9 o clock...I drive it all over, alot of small trips to the store which aren't far away, or trips around town or on the freeway...I'd say 75% city driver 25% freeway. I have no idea what the fans draw amp wise, but if i pull the "add a circuit" bullshit i have for the windshield wiper fuse i got for the fans, the squeaking stops within a few seconds? I'm pretty sure my connections are good but don't hold me to it, since i'm inside, haven't checked that either.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Sounds like you might be in business with a new alternator. I would suspect the brushes are toast in the thing also with the low voltage output untill warmup........

1 - 20 of 62 Posts