S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I've come to the right place to ask about this, this does not relate to an S-10 but this does relate to the 2.5l i4 iron duke engine.
So, my crazy idea is this: I have this old 1987 Buick Century Custom, which i just swapped the iron duke with a 350, and now i have this engine block on spare. Only 30k miles on it. And I thought maybe if it's possible to build some kind of insane go-cart. I wanna know what you'd think, what transmission I would have to find for it, or if it could even work at all.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
yep, anything is possible, my buddy started building a "death cart" as he labeled it with a 3.8 from a Ford Taurus. Never finished it though. Was too busy.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
The buick is FWD right? Perhaps you could use the whole assembly from a donor FWD car to build a rear end drive for your cart?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is. The main reason i swapped was because the engine runs very smoothly, but the transmission on the buick is burned out. I don't know if the stock transmission could take the acceleration i'm talking about, as well.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Might be an interesting project, might start a new thread in this forum and keep us up to date with pix and everything as you go.... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well you should be able to use any t5 trans(I would just lock it in second gear) and make one hell of a gocart. For fuel and spark you can switch to any 2 bbl carb that you can fit to it and just get a distributer from a mercruiser 3.0 boat motor and wire it up.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Distributor out of a Citation will work also.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I think I might've hit the jackpot on this one:
Went to Home Depot today, apparently they got the pipes and such i needed for $350. As well, I found a rebuilt camaro t5 transmission on the pontiac crate engine site for just $600. The design i came up for this resembles more that of the ariel atom, and i expect to weigh around 1200 pounds if not a little less. Also, i'm looking at a mercruiser website, and they sell new 3.0 distributors for the boat modded iron dukes. I will test the motor assembly in my garage to see if i have a working setup first, then after that i plan to build the basic frame, then buy two bucket style seats+seatbelts. Don't forget the classic non-power steering system and brembo brakes, i just happened to have these lying around. I will update more on this, maybe even follow advice of others and make new threads as to show my current progress.

·
Registered
804 Posts
FYI: I built a low ground clearance(2") go-cart with a Honda 350. That thing would flat fly in second to third. I got it into 4th once and thought I was going to need new shorts. Be very careful and build plenty of safety in the thing. If done properly it will be safe and a blast.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Lettuce know....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts