S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my plastic third door handle broke which as I've read appears to be a common issue however when i took it off i went to pull on the two rods to unlatch the door and while the upper latch opens the lower one remains latched. the rod comes up but the latch doesn't release I've taken all the interior plastic off the door so i can see the latch and I'm not seeing any issue the rod is still attached and moves but it appears something isn't catching any advice would be appreciated. I'm just trying to open it at this point I'm sure if i could do that id be able to get to anything i need to to repair/replace it whichever it needs

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dang, I was hoping someone would have posted to help you. My latch broke years ago, and I haven't worked on it. I just dont use that door as a door, much. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can't help with your problem, can only make a recomendation. On ebay their is a seller that makes aluminum third door handles for like $15. You use the existing hardware, just replace the plastic handle with the aluminum one. Def worth it, since this one will never break. Good Luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
X2 on the aluminum handle from the guy on e-bay, I replaced the plastic one twice, 2cd time with an aluminum handle from e-bay, quick & easy, in for about 5 years now.

If I remember correctly I used vise grips on the lower rod on mine to pull it enough for the door latch to release, perhaps have some pull out on the door as you work the rods.

Mike

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
you have a couple of options to get it open. release the top latch and tug on it a bit so that the door has room to move then take a pry bar to the bottom of the door. i done this method its a little rough but it works. then once its open you can take the broken bottom latch off and replace it or go the cheap way and just dont use one period. this is assuming you've tried plenty of pb blaster on the bottom latch, mine actually rusted up and broke at the top where the rod connects

2nd option is take a sawzall and cut the strike plate off across the bottom of the door. i can see how this would work but have only read about it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take the two screws out that hold the latch in if the levers are still attached to the back of the handle take a screw driver and pop them out it is a tight space to work in then pull the rods to release the latch, the door will open then you can take the interior cover off to install the new handle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the handle isn't the issue I can get a replacement for practically free at my local jy. thank you for the suggestions on releasing the latch I will come back after trying some to let you know what worked.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My broken latch was metal. I didn't even know the original equip was plastic. Do you guys think mine had been replaced, before?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My broken latch was metal. I didn't even know the original equip was plastic. Do you guys think mine had been replaced, before?
the latch wasn't plastic the handle was. my latch however was plastic coated but i don't believe that's what the others were referring to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after getting a better look at it I found i was looking for a more complex problem than there really was. my latch was simply rusted shut. a few additional soaking of pb blaster from the inside and a few good kicks and i was able to get the door opened.
once open I was able to take out the bolts on the latch and work in on the bench for a while with a combination of parts cleaner penetrating oil WD40 and some tool oil and i was able to get the old latch moving properly again
after cleaning and oiling my latch re-installed it and installed my replacement handle from the JY and it works great now. thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you did get a plastic handle (I'm a little confused about that), it will break pretty soon. When it does, be sure to replace it with a metal one as others have suggested.

I got mine on ebay for less than $20. It's a Dorman, so should be available from a local parts store for double the price. Well worth it to not have to dick with it again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same issue as the OP where the top latch will release easily but the bottom appears to be rusted. The rod only moves slightly before stopping. I guess I will soak it in pb blaster until it frees up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't help with your problem, can only make a recomendation. On ebay their is a seller that makes aluminum third door handles for like $15. You use the existing hardware, just replace the plastic handle with the aluminum one. Def worth it, since this one will never break. Good Luck
Here's where I got my aluminum handle Chevy S10 Parts
They have sother S-10 nuggets as well.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,177 Posts
Dead thread...Closed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.