S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
awd equipped
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so ive been thinking for awhile and i may paint my truck w/ the hot rod flatz rock moss green. its been a hard decision wether to stay gloss or go flat. i figured id start w/ flat since i want to do it myself. other than prepping for dents what are some other preperations i need to use for the flatz? any certain kind of primer, should i just scuff up the old paint or got almost bare metal, what to do after i spray on the flatz paint? this will be the first time ever attempting body work, and since most mini truckers do thier own, why not do it now. also how much paint do you think it would take to cover the whole truck? thanks in advanced to anyone who helps.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
whats with every 1 in there flat paint now adays.
but what i would do it just sand the clear off, take it down with maybe 180 or 320 i forget which 1,i used the da. best way if ur picky about every lil dent is to board it down with 150/180 but it takes a lil bit.all tho flat colours dont show dents to badly.

im sure ull get detailed n better version of doin it, i do things diff then others

·
awd equipped
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flat paint is something ive been thinking about for some time now. i figured i could get away w/ a lot if the paint was flat, like dirt and scratches, no swirl marks and all that. plus not a lot of flat painted vehicle run around in my area. a nice smooth flat paint job and some chrome ass wheels (which im in the market for) just like sweet in my opinion.

·
Registered
159 Posts
the best way to do it is to take it down to the metal. if youre truck still has the factory paint, and has never had any body work, you could get away with sanding off the clear and shooting over the old paint. you can put a satin clear over the paint if your wanting to clear coat it. id definitely fix all the dings. IMO its not worth going through all the effort to paint it if youre gonna leave the dents in it, even if they dont show too bad.

·
F1NG3R5UMG1RL5!
7,344 Posts
hey stalephotograph..
im thinkin about doin the same...
since you may know more about it..
what is the hot rod flatz... just a one shot thing?
no clears or anythin like that?

·
awd equipped
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
INSANEnoma said:
hey stalephotograph..
im thinkin about doin the same...
since you may know more about it..
what is the hot rod flatz... just a one shot thing?
no clears or anythin like that?
i honestly couldnt tell you, thats why im here lol. if its just a single base type paint after primer then its all good. i think i remember reading once before they make a flat clear but i could be wrong. the guy above mentioned a satin clear, but i dont know anything about that.

the dents/dings will be fixed during the process as well. i dont think it has had any body work done. im just going to keep checking back on this thread and maybe get some more input from those who have used the hot rod flatz. for those who want to look into the flatz here is the site http://www.kustomshop.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=ksflatz.bbx

·
Shit's Weak
1,970 Posts
AssDragginSdime said:
ya its a single stage enamel with a flattening agent.
werd.

and one gallon of the stuff should be plenty to do your truck. just prep it, sand it, and don't let anyone touch it, EVER. i'm going to be using the hot rod flatz red on my truck this summer hopefully.

send a private message to gotusic, he painted his noma himself with the hot rod flatz black so he can tell you whatever you need to know.

·
sold the dime :(
4,586 Posts
ucan buy it on ebay!

whats their link?
im going to get some too. justwant to check prices on their website... im also looking into ppg single stage black. not sure which im going to use yet!

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
ya im considering using this stuff to spray my mazda for this season.. just to at least get it in 1 color. was thinking of red. But i dont know yet.

·
Slingin ink
6,349 Posts
"I got my fade everybody had braids
And now they switch to fades and I'm thinkin 'bout braids"- nelly
:haha:

·
Shit's Weak
1,970 Posts
gotUsic said:
"I got my fade everybody had braids
And now they switch to fades and I'm thinkin 'bout braids"- nelly
:haha:
we can't help it. it just looks so damn good.:)

are you still gonna 2 tone it?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
ya polished lip looks awsome, n wheny a do go flat colours, have fun keeping it clean unless u go semi gloss, other then that i have a flat black jeep only been washed once within a year cuz its so hard n looks dusty after

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
ya, im on my 2nd flat black truck.. they realyl are a pain in the ass to keep clean.. any dust, pollen, dirt, etc.. shows like a mofo. when you got a clear, the reflection of the clear kinda makes it a little harder to see hte dust and shit, but when yoru trucks flat you see everything. it looks strait.. i used to think it was the coolest look ever.. but ya everyones doing it now, so im gonna go with "real" paint in the long run. probly just run this stuff till winter when it gets put away and i can have it off the road for a couple weeks to have it painted all nice.

·
<~*The Pimp*->
411 Posts
I will agree with the guy above, man flat is hard to keep clean or at least flat black is, that is the color of my toy...

·
awd equipped
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im staying away from flat black, you see it everywhere. im liking the rock moss green, but i might choose a different color in the long run. i figured black would be too hard to keep clean as it is w/ gloss black.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts