S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Layd the **** out
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is only one thing holding me up..... Im not very good at all with engines but i believe its the torque convertor cover maybe i dunno honestly? The one bolt hangs like 1.5" lower then the trans and oil pan... I know JIMLUC pretty much has his pans on the ground when layed out but in his picture he didnt have the cover on... so i know there is a way around it jimluc any input:D or anyone else with any knowledge about it?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You can take the cover off and roll without it. As long as you don't drive down any rocky or dirty roads it'll be fine. Alot of the V8 guys roll without them. It also helps to keep the torque converter cool.

·
Layd the **** out
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mmmmh i dunno bout that i wanna drive this thing everywhere and not really have to worry bout nothing.... However is that a common thing i really really wanna run a stock hood so i dunno maybe?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
yeah it's pretty common. I had the same doubts about taking the cover off, but after reading in the V8 section for days, there are alot of guys who don't even have them on their DD's

·
Layd the **** out
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you took yours off could you have cut the one mounting point off the hangs lower and put it back on with out having a hole in it?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
When you took yours off could you have cut the one mounting point off the hangs lower and put it back on with out having a hole in it?

I would've had to cut the entire bottom of the cover off of mine, not just the mounting tab that hangs down. Thats the only reason why I ditched it completely. My flywheel is really close to the bottom of the framerails as well. If I had a tig welder and some aluminium, I guess I could have sealed it up, if I wanted to... If I knew how to weld aluminum, lol.

If its just the tab itself holding you up, I'd just cut it off. Another reason why I ditched mine was to cool things down abit. My feet get really hot driving this thing.....

·
Layd the **** out
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what imma do just cut it off and cap it with some aluminum.....thanks bro

·
Layd the **** out
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imma lay that bitch as low as possible....so maybe imma go work on it later hopefully have some pics

·
Layd the **** out
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still need to put the other tab on

·
Layd the **** out
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dropping the engine is done however the frame and rest of the truck isnt so ive never had the front sheet metal back on.

As far as lower the motor goes i

*dropped the motor 2"
*made new motor mounts
*dropped the tranny 1.75"
*made new trans mount
*cut the 2 mounting tabs off the torque convertor cover
*notched the shit out of the engine cradle and replated
*cut a notch for the start to clear
*notched my oil pan to clear my steering linkage
*and i need a smaller pully for my power steering because its super closer to the pump

1 - 20 of 31 Posts