S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 84 blazer leaks water though the back window from the top...its all nasty under the trim piece near the top of the windows...the pad is all soaked and smelly..and the plastic piece is someone stained from the water or maybe its mold...and it sometimes spreads the the headliner and always drips down to the carpet near my SUBS AND AMPS...so heres an idea i might do....
take the spare out and lay it down on the floor in the back....biult an easy box to cover the tires and wires ...carpet it in some box carpet or somethign...then mount the amps and subs to it so they dont touch the dripping water...cuz my sub box right now would soak up the water from the floor and now my box is like warped on the bottom and all crooked....so would this work ...? as iin will it make the sound quality worse?

·
Autocross'n Member
363 Posts
I'm not trying to be a dick,but why don't you just fix the leak?Can't be anything more than just weather stripping or something simple.

·
Phoenix
505 Posts
I found that the 94 Blazers had a revised rear gate and glass seal, I used it on my 92 to stop my water leaks. There is a lip on the seal that fills the gap between the top of the glass and the body.

As for your box idea, it should work fine. I doubt that there would be much if any sound quality loss.

A trick that I started using about 20 years ago is to remove the spare tire and carry a can of fix-a-flat. I know that most people do not want the stuff in their tires, but in all the years I have done this I have never needed to use it. My cars are usually garaged so checking the air pressure weekly is not a chore, if I have a tire losing air I remove it right away and look for foreign objects, I have found a few and I have them repaired before it turns into a problem. This saves about 70 lbs and a bit of space.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i sorta fixed the leak with some black RTV silicon...but water still gets in somewhere and soaks up the foam on top that is hidden by that little trim piece where the light is ....or...it looks like mold is growing though the plastic trim too or somethingl...its darker in some areas...looks like dried coke pop on it ......but i think i stil want to build a box that will hide the spare...it might look cool ...maybe i wiill mount the amps standing up on the side....i want the tire so i have extra weight for the michigan winters in the snow they suck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
FIX THE LEAK

to find the exact spaot it is leaking, climb in the back and have someone spary it down with a hose

·
2,116 Posts
I bought new rear hatch weatherstripping, cost about $40-50. Beats buying new stereo equipment and dealing with a mildew smell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts